Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired for years

Options
  • 12-12-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi. I know this is the wrong place to come for medical advise but I have run out of options. Basically, I feel tired all the time. I sleep well. I don't wake during the night. I eat relatively well usually including some veg in meals. I exercise a lot walking for about an hour a day. I started taking Floradix for a few months and this made no difference. I am now taking Active Iron Tablets. I am seeing no change with these either. It is a problem I've had for years. I went to the doctor about it last year. They did full bloods which all came back normal. The tiredness is there constantly. It feels almost like a "fog" if that makes any sense. It is so hard to find the energy to do anything. If anyone has any advise or suggestions I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I normally sleep well, not waking up etc but only found out recently I am having seizures in my sleep, which can explain why I feel tired and sore muscles when I wake etc.
    Not saying that is happening to you, you may have a bed partner who would have noticed if that is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

No apparently I don't move at all in my sleep. Don't snore either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

This is not medical advice but I used to be very tired during the day (to the point of crying with tiredness and taking a nap at my desk at lunch time). I started drinking more water and it made a unreal difference. I try to drink about a litre of water between 9am and 1pm and another at least for the rest of the day. I found after a few days that I did not need to take a nap at lunch time and never really feel tired during the day anymore. I also sleep better at night.

I honestly laughed when someone suggested it was my lack of water intake but it has made an unreal difference for me. It is really worth a try,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

You should look into getting yourself tested for Sleep Apnoea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

And B12 deficiency if not already, it's not tested as part of normal routine bloods.

• Advertisement

I have considered the water intake issue but I now drink a lot more than I used to and that hasn't helped. The doctor thought b12 might be the problem so they tested for that and it was normal too.

phi3 wrote: »
    I have considered the water intake issue but I now drink a lot more than I used to and that hasn't helped. The doctor thought b12 might be the problem so they tested for that and it was normal too.

Did you find out your exact level? Some people have deficiency symptoms with low normal levels.

Are you Irish? Get checked for haemochromatosis. A huge percent of Irish people have it. The symptoms of too much iron mirror the symptoms of too little.

Did you find out your exact level? Some people have deficiency symptoms with low normal levels.

No if I got the exact level I can't remember. I was thinking maybe some kind of allergy or food intolerance could cause it.

No if I got the exact level I can't remember. I was thinking maybe some kind of allergy or food intolerance could cause it.

Doctors will tell you you're fine if your levels are above 200 but that may not be the case. I'd ask for my exact results or get a copy of them if I was you to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I was the same for years and recently got diagnosed with endometriosis which chronic fatigue is a symptom. There are a lot of conditions out there with fatigue as a symptom but the problem is getting a diagnosis....depends on other symptoms too. There may be no cure, all you can do is listen to your body and rest when you need to. Make the best of it then when you do have some energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

phi3 wrote:
    Hi. I know this is the wrong place to come for medical advise but I have run out of options. Basically, I feel tired all the time. I sleep well. I don't wake during the night. I eat relatively well usually including some veg in meals. I exercise a lot walking for about an hour a day. I started taking Floradix for a few months and this made no difference. I am now taking Active Iron Tablets. I am seeing no change with these either. It is a problem I've had for years. I went to the doctor about it last year. They did full bloods which all came back normal. The tiredness is there constantly. It feels almost like a "fog" if that makes any sense. It is so hard to find the energy to do anything. If anyone has any advise or suggestions I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

If your bloods came back normal then you should not be taking iron. Too much iron is like too little iron. Both can make you tired

Are you Irish? Get checked for haemochromatosis. A huge percent of Irish people have it. The symptoms of too much iron mirror the symptoms of too little.

Yes I'm Irish. Never heard of haemochromatosis

Advertisement