Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worth a read

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I believe Thomas Barr should be on the list.

Rory no way, had a poor in year for his standards, even the player admitted it himself. Hard to put a player up when he said that.

I wouldn't but Ciara Mageean on the list, didn't think she did enough to get on that list compare to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No matter who's on these lists there will always be whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Thomas Barrs 4th in the Olympic 400 h final for me was the outstanding Irish sports performance of the year. In a truly global sport against all the top nations he excelled. For him to be overlooked for even a nomination is a joke. RTE are too beholden to GAA and Rugby to draw up a fair and realistic list. GAA already have their all stars awards broadcast so unless some GAA player does something extrodianary or historic they should not be included on this list. The All Ireland happens every year as opposed to the once every 4 for olympics wich gives added weight to Olympic performance.

Analise Murphy more deserving than anyone...

walshb wrote: »
    Analise Murphy more deserving than anyone...

And has been nominated.

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Thomas Barrs 4th in the Olympic 400 h final for me was the outstanding Irish sports performance of the year. In a truly global sport against all the top nations he excelled. For him to be overlooked for even a nomination is a joke. RTE are too beholden to GAA and Rugby to draw up a fair and realistic list. GAA already have their all stars awards broadcast so unless some GAA player does something extrodianary or historic they should not be included on this list. The All Ireland happens every year as opposed to the once every 4 for olympics wich gives added weight to Olympic performance.

GAA is our national sport and it should be there. Winning 6 all irelands in a row is a big achievement. Dragging your team to all ireland victory is a great thing.

I would have Barr instead of the rugby guy.

Also Athletics have National, Euopean and World awards for Athlete of the year!!

I assume Carl Frampton on the list? Right up there...

I assume Carl Frampton on the list? Right up there...

Yeah I can understand why he is there, but he doesn't represent Ireland so shouldn't be there.

Yeah I can understand why he is there, but he doesn't represent Ireland so shouldn't be there.

Does this award not encompass the 32 counties?

I assume you mean that his being a loyalist means he identifies himself as British? That's accurate.

Does this award not encompass the 32 counties?

I assume you mean that his being a loyalist means he identifies himself as British? That's accurate.

Not talking about religion, couldn't care less about that.
    He has never represented Ireland in the sport that's all.

• Advertisement

Not talking about religion, couldn't care less about that.
    He has never represented Ireland in the sport that's all.

I am not talking about religion either. I am talking about the country he identifies with.

But yes, as a pro he has not represented Ireland. He is listed as part of the U.K and I believe he views himself as British. I guess we can scratch him then.

I am not talking about religion either. I am talking about the country he identifies with.

But yes, as a pro he has not represented Ireland. He is listed as part of the U.K and I believe he views himself as British. I guess we can scratch him then.

Still a great fighter though.

Still a great fighter though.

With very strong ties to Ireland as well as Britain...He's the same yet polar opposite of Barry in that regard.

Fook it, he's back in the mix!

GAA is our national sport and it should be there. Winning 6 all irelands in a row is a big achievement. Dragging your team to all ireland victory is a great thing.

I would have Barr instead of the rugby guy.

Also Athletics have National, Euopean and World awards for Athlete of the year!!

None of those awards are broadcast by our national radio or tv networks unlike the very high profile All Star Awards.

None of those awards are broadcast by our national radio or tv networks unlike the very high profile All Star Awards.

And there is a reason for that, its call a lack of interest from the public

No its called vested intrest.

No its called vested intrest.

Hardly, if you can make RTE money they will put it on, no matter how good or bad it is.

Anyhow the all star awards are on tv as part of the package that rte paid for when buying the gaa tv rights.

Hardly, if you can make RTE money they will put it on, no matter how good or bad it is.

Anyhow the all star awards are on tv as part of the package that rte paid for when buying the gaa tv rights.

See previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I seen 15 guys who never showed any interest in athletics before huddled around a live stream on a phone shouting and hyped as Barr came down the home straight in Rio, I didn't see anything like that for the likes of Daryl Horgan or anyone else tbh, no offense to those guys but what Barr done in Rio was on a different level and drew people in who would never watch any athletics, only the two O'Donavans and Barr achieved that.

El Caballo wrote: »
    I seen 15 guys who never showed any interest in athletics before huddled around a live stream on a phone shouting and hyped as Barr came down the home straight in Rio, I didn't see anything like that for the likes of Daryl Horgan or anyone else tbh, no offense to those guys but what Barr done in Rio was on a different level and drew people in who would never watch any athletics, only the two O'Donavans and Barr achieved that.

I think everyone is in agreement Barr should be there.

Horgan deserves his spot also, has had an amazing season, called up to the Irish national team and a move to the UK after christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭UM1

El Caballo wrote: »
    I seen 15 guys who never showed any interest in athletics before huddled around a live stream on a phone shouting and hyped as Barr came down the home straight in Rio, I didn't see anything like that for the likes of Daryl Horgan or anyone else tbh,t.
    does watchin dundalk in the pub coun :) t..though agree barr shud defo be in there as shud enduro

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

While dundalk have done is fairly remarkable and have got the barstoolers watching for now, they are probably still ranked about the 500th best club in the world now. Its long way off what barr achieved (and enduro too!), not to memtion murphy or the o'sullivans.

jamule wrote: »
    While dundalk have done is fairly remarkable and have got the barstoolers watching for now, they are probably still ranked about the 500th best club in the world now. Its long way off what barr achieved (and enduro too!), not to memtion murphy or the o'sullivans.

Sport awards will always have agreements and disagreements. I would like to see Murphy win it, she has been at the top of her sport for a long time and deserves the recognition for it.

PS Tomas Barr is an individual, Dundalk are a team. Dundalk are up for the team award not individual.

Advertisement