Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion Square Art Railings

Options
  • 11-12-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I walked around Merrion square this morning and had a look at all the art work.

I did buy a little something, but I came away wondering where do all the young artists get their work out? The artists straight or some years out of art school.
    Or are there no young painters - it's not the preferred medium these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The younger artists probably can't afford it:
    http://www.merrionsquareart.com/exhibiting.php

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Good point, hadn't thought of that.
    You'd want to be sure of getting a few sales to get the money back.
    I suppose there is an investment of time to consider too. Time spent on the Sundays, hustling, and time spent creating something to sell.

Anyway, is there anyplace where young artists can show their stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't really know myself but if you search the Arts & Crafts forum here for 'exhibition space' or something similar you might find some ideas or discussion on this subject before. Someone else might pop in to advise you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Artist83

Hi,
    There are loads of great young Irish painters around Dublin at the moment. They tend to exhibit in small galleries & artist run spaces that are well worth checking out eg Pallas, Mart, Block T, Cross, Art Box, Gallery 8. The Dublin Gallery Weekend website has an up to date list http://www.dublingallerymap.ie. The merrion sq 'art on the rails' tends to display work by more commercial, less avant garde artists.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I think that the People's Art on the Green is probably one option that is more budget friendly? It is run twice a year if I'm not mistaken..

Otherwise, I have a feeling that a lot of it is online nowadays, which is a pity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement