Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are people doing this time of year in their apiaries?

• 11-12-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a part of the yard ready for installation of my first hive in the spring. Have the area cleaned up, planted willows and putting up a wind block made of rocks from a neighbors yard.

What do people do this time of year? The local bee club is organizing a club-wide visit to hives to use an oxalic acid sterilizer, I hope to at least travel along and see how members keep their bees. This is in West Kerry, where the weather's been all over the place - snow and frost a week ago, 10-15 degrees during the day the last few, rain, wind, the usual.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Not too much. Keep an eye that they don't blow over or knocked down by livestock

Keep an eye for food at Christmas time - will also treat for varroa / oxalic acid

Sell the rest of my honey - make candles and relax

Beekeeping is very much a spring summer activity when it can get busy...

Best of luck next year

Advertisement