Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High dosage iron without gelatin

Options
  • 11-12-2016 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I'm not looking for medical advice so I hope this question is ok!

I'm anemic and am on a high dose of iron, I'm looking for a high dosage (minimum 305mg) that doesn't contain gelatin. My doctor told me to enquire with the pharmacist but unfortunately she hasn't been much help. Can anybody suggest one which I could discuss with my doctor as an alternative.

Unfortunately not taking them, or waiting until I find an alternative, is not an option so any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I had great success with the OTC Floradix tablets.

They are the only ones that ever made an impact on my iron levels without making me sick. my levels are now high and stay high - my GP is amazed. I feel great. I order them online from Boots.

I take two tablets daily. I dont know the exact dosage in each tablet but i can tell you they brought my iron from a 7/8 to a 12 and it stays at 12 now.

http://www.salusuk.com/products/floradix_tabs.html

Actually that link has more details. The iron levels are not as high as you need but it worked for me and built it up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Wow - 305mg per day is massive. I just checked the Spatone that we take which is 5mg (36% RDA), so you would need a few box loads of that a day to hit that level. Spatone is iron rich water which can be taken in water or juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Wow - 305mg per day is massive. I just checked the Spatone that we take which is 5mg (36% RDA), so you would need a few box loads of that a day to hit that level. Spatone is iron rich water which can be taken in water or juice.

I think it only amounts to about 100mg of active iron but it contains 305mg total. but I could be mistaken. I'm also on 610mg really because Im prescribed 2 a day. So really 200mg of active iron a day.

I'll have a look and see if Spatone is available in higher doses :)

Advertisement