Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Bob ..

Options
  • 11-12-2016 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

He might be decent at lyrics, but he has always put money first. 
    Some may have thought he might appear at the award ceremony due to the amount of time he was publicly given.
    Many knew he would not. There is not a lot of (if any) money involved in it.
    Bob likes money on top of money. To make the prize more appealing, they should have covered it in money.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/742117/Patti-Smith-forgets-lines-Bob-Dylan-lyrics-Nobel-Prize-tribute
    https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/2016/dylan-speech.html
    I never really cared either way about the idea of the Noble prizes but Bob has surely solidified any thoughts that they are worthless.
    And he is imo probably correct.
    He suffered being awarded it under the public eye, took weeks to acknowledge it, and let's face it, did not accept it.
    Poor Bob. I do not know what I would do if i was in the same situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He might be decent at lyrics, but he has always put money first.

A truly scathing criticism of one of the most commercially successful musicians of all time.

He's an utterly ignorant arsehole, consistently so. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Speaking from personal experience I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

For some reason I assumed this was about Bob Geldof and nearly pissed meself laughing at the description of him being decent at lyrics.

As for Bob Dylan - he owes these people nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Idiot wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You'd get a Nobel Prize these days for rescuing a cat from a tree. Maybe the guy was embarrassed to turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I for one could not give a shît about any of these so called glitterati. They have not made the world a better place. Not one bit…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

He needs to learn how to sing first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Pac1Man wrote: »
    He needs to learn how to sing first.

I never liked him singing, Supposedly he also a poet & all his songs have stories ??

Still don't like him singing, more whining than singing, now stop crying,stop crying,baby please stop crying...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He seems like an old bollix but anyone who writes "the pumps don't work cause the vandals took tha handles" is ok by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

probable best said as
    Yes, I wish that for just one time
    You could stand inside my shoes
    You’d know what a drag it is to see you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even Bob knew it was a stupid decision. So he stayed away in embarrassment for the Nobel Committee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Oliver Beetroot

President of Colombia getting a prize speaks volumes. Why would FARC continue fighting when all their demands were met and them some. Guaranteed seats in parliament? So much for democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes but he's a genius....so he gets a pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

He should have performed a Nobel Prize song and performed it.

Nobel invented dynamite, safer than nitroglycerin.
    The only thing that rhymes with it is whispering.
    Nobel invented gelignite, safer than dynamite
    Something, something midnight and candelight.
    And then ballistite, a predecessor of cordite.
    Rhymes with stalactite and airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Suckit wrote: »
    He might be decent at lyrics, but he has always put money first..

The bigot in me enquired 'is he jewish?'

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The bigot in me enquired 'is he jewish?'

The bigot? You mean the racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Can't it be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

It's laughable people critiquing him for ignoring something he has no interest in accepting. Should he be forced to recognise or accept awards now? For what reason? Why do people think he is rude or ignorant for not accepting it? Does he have no say in his life and what he chooses to do?

It's laughable people critiquing him for ignoring something he has no interest in accepting. Should he be forced to recognise or accept awards now? For what reason? Why do people think he is rude or ignorant for not accepting it? Does he have no say in his life and what he chooses to do?

Irish begrudgery? They probably think that Michael D. Hobbit should have got it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he just wasn't interested and didn't fancy traipsing to Sweden in his advanced years to collect it. The reaction of some of the awarding committee when he hadn't acknowledged the award tells me it was more about them than Bob Dylan and not forgetting they handed one to Barack Obama even before he took office.

pauliebdub wrote: »
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he just wasn't interested and didn't fancy traipsing to Sweden in his advanced years to collect it. The reaction of some of the awarding committee when he hadn't acknowledged the award tells me it was more about them than Bob Dylan and not forgetting they handed one to Barack Obama even before he took office.

Maybe he is tired of hearing how great everything is in Sweden and the 'Swedish / Nordic model'? Maybe he is taking a stance against the islamification of Sweden? Maybe he thinks Political Correctness has gone mad in Sweden?

Maybe he thought Hilary should have gotten the nod? (Only kidding, can't see anyone sane thinking that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Is 'Jewish' a race?

Yes, I believe so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Yes, I believe so.

But I can convert to Judaism. I can't convert to black or oriental. (Can you say oriental? )

But I can convert to Judaism. I can't convert to black or oriental.

Can it not be a race and a religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

But I can convert to Judaism. I can't convert to black or oriental. (Can you say oriental? )

One thing can be different to another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

kneemos wrote: »
    One thing can be different to another thing.

Insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Article on point.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/sep/13/night-bob-dylan-abandoned-me-at-petrol-station
    So in due course Bob Dylan arrives and when he sees there is a stranger, an infidel who he isn’t expecting, a look of panic sweeps over him and he pulls the toggles on this hoodie he is wearing over his bushy hair, so that all that is left is this small hole.

He then proceeds to eat the Mexican food we were having through this little hole, so that by the end of the meal the salsa and guacamole is smeared round the hood. I could hear him speaking in that inimitable Bob Dylan voice, but could not see him. At one point he started playing a little children’s keyboard and sang an old gospel song. I can’t think of a more searingly surreal moment in my life!

Eventually, after a few hours, Bob leaves, still with the hood round his face. As we sat there digesting the experience there was a knock on the door. I answered and there is Dylan standing there now with his hood off. He says, “I’ve got no gas in my truck. Could someone come with me to a gas station?” Given the attention of fans, he wouldn’t fill his own tank.
    We eventually pull into this gas station, and now it’s about one in the morning. He gives me his credit card (I didn’t check if it said Robert Zimmerman), I swipe it at the pump, fill up the gas, and, as I am about to get back in the truck, he says: “No man, I gotta go, I got to go.” He pulls the door shut on me and then drives off down the road, leaving me on my own on the forecourt.

I hadn’t a cent in my pocket. Nothing. I had to ring my host call collect – this was before mobiles – and get him to pick me up. I even had to ask the gas station cashier where I was, because I’d never been to LA before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Any word on Rita and Sue:confused:

Advertisement