Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit form

Options
  • 10-12-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Can anyone find me an Illness Benefit Form online ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

How to apply
    You should apply for Illness Benefit within 7 days of becoming ill. A delay of more than 7 days may cause you to lose some of your payment. If there is a good reason for a delay in applying, your payment may be backdated.
    You can get a first social welfare medical certificate (known as MC1), which includes an application form for Illness Benefit, from your family doctor (GP) or hospital doctor. The reason you can only get this form from a doctor is because a doctor must complete the medical certificate part of the form.
    You must see your doctor and send in an intermediate medical certificate (known as MC 2) each week for as long as you are ill, unless you are told otherwise.
    You must get a final medical certificate from your doctor before you go back to work....
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I was in doctors and they told me they don't have one , but they do need to sign off on it when completed .

Doctors told me to get one in local health centre or citizens information office . ( both closed today )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Each MC1 has the doctors registered number printed in the form so you can't just pick it up anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I think the term illness benefit form is confusing the doctor. Just tell her you need a social welfare sick cert. then they will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

How to apply:

(1) go to a doctor and get a first social welfare medical certificate (known as MC1), which includes an application form.

(2) complete the MC1 application form in full. Ensure you provide your own PPS number, the PPS number(s) and other details of any other person you wish to claim an increase for such as spouse/civil partner/cohabitant and children.

(3) make sure you sign the declaration on the application form.

(4) hand your certificate into your local IntreoCentre, your local Social Welfare Office or post it to:
    Department of Social Protection
    P.O. Box 1650
    Dublin 1.

(5) get an intermediate Social Welfare medical certificate (known as MC2) from your doctor each week for as long as you are ill, or until you are advised otherwise by your doctor or the Department.

(6) get a final Social Welfare medical certificate from your doctor before you go back to work.
    Note:

You are not required to pay for a social welfare medical certificate as the Department pays the doctor an agreed fee.
    Social welfare medical certificates (MC1 and MC2) are not available on-line or from any office of the Department. They are only available from doctors who are on the Department's panel of medical certifiers. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/4158_When-and-how-do-I-apply.aspx

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    I think the term illness benefit form is confusing the doctor. Just tell her you need a social welfare sick cert. then they will know.

In this case the sick cert was received from hospital .

Finally got MC1 and MC2 today in doctors . Easy enough to fill in . Its been 7 days already since first day ,so now have to explain late claim .

I think that should be 7 working days instead of 7 consecutive days .

Advertisement