Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a phone recommendation

Options
  • 10-12-2016 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

What features are important to you in a phone? Good processing power + RAM, 5.5inch screen if possible, reliable battery quality.

Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - Have up to 250 maybe to 350 if necessary and 30 max monthly. The monthly going towards either pre-pay top-up or towards a bill if needed. Also don't mind buying used phones as long as the phone is in a good condition.

Earbuds/Speaker - Earphones included preferrably.

Seems like a decent condition OnePlus 2 fits my needs but there isn't a lot of those available at the moment. Also been looking at the Huawei GX8 with three (€29 + €25.41 monthly).

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

I don't know enough about the phones in that range to recommend one but there are loads of promising ones in the Chinese phones thread. If you could stretch out of your budget you could get the OPO 3T for 440 and then go Tesco Mobile PAYG 15 a month which will give you unlimited calls, then you can buy 15GB of 3G data for 6.99 and use the remaining credit for either other bundles or texts and international calls. (I believe that's correct, I'm on the staff rate so check these figures on their site.) You'd have the extra 90 euro initial spend back in 6ish months by cutting the monthly payout from 30 to 15.

I've had no problems with Tesco Mobile in Dublin and the surrounding area. 3G is absolutely fine for browsing and streaming.

Just remembered I saw this in Bray before picking up my 3T.

https://ie.m.webuy.com/product-detail/phones/phones-android/oneplus-two/2-64gb-black-unlocked-a/sonep264gbunla

Within your price range and allegedly Class A condition and warranty. Looks ideal for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Thanks a lot. Ended up getting a little help from my fiance and getting a phone that she was also interested in, the LG G5, second hand. Now off to look around for prepay plans or SIM only bill-pay plans. I know I should probably start a new thread but I might as well ask you first as you might already know the answer.

Is having 4G necessary? The other question is, do you really suggest Tesco Mobile? I'm not doubting, I'm seriously enquiring, because I just googled quickly and when people mention Tesco, the one downside they mention it has is coverage. I wouldn't mind just having 3G but how much of Dublin does Tesco have 3G on?

I've been on it for 4 years and my last job involved travelling around Ireland quite a bit to places like Galway, Cork, Kerry and around Dublin and I honestly can't remember ever having a problem. And I'd be using Google maps to find my way there and then using 3G the whole time I was working in these places. The great thing about it is it would only cost you 15 euro to find out if it would suit you and if it didn't you could just switch in a different sim and port your number over to another network.

I've never thought to myself "I really wish this was 4G" but then I've never had 4G in Ireland so maybe you'd notice it if you went from 4G to 3G. I had 4G when I was on holiday in the Midlands in England (3 mobile UK sim) and it was nowhere near as fast as my 3G here but we were staying pretty rural so that probably had something to do with it.

Advertisement