Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Wicklow General Discussion

Options
  • 09-12-2016 9:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

Hello everyone, Jim here, and as you've probably guessed, from West Wicklow. From a little village in Hollywood, anyone have anything to say about West Wicklow, this is the place to go :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hello everyone, Jim here, and as you've probably guessed, from West Wicklow. From a little village in Hollywood, anyone have anything to say about West Wicklow, this is the place to go :)

Tutty's or Hollywood Inn?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JiimWicklow

Tuttys 100%, my parents own it lol, but the Hollywood Inn is mostly a restaraunt now, no-one really drinks there unless there is a party, Tuttys is the local

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Zebbedee

I've not been up there for a few years.
    Is the 'Hollywood' sign still up on the hills there?
    That always brought a smile to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

West Wicklow would be on our radar if we were to move. I work from home a lot, what kind of broadband speeds do you pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I've not been up there for a few years.
    Is the 'Hollywood' sign still up on the hills there?
    That always brought a smile to my face.

It's still there when I drove through the a few months back. Like yourself, it always puts a smile on me. Nice little town, Hollywood. Spent some time living in Donard a while back - that was a very quiet place indeed. But I still miss it and would love to be back there now. The only downside to west wicklow is the horrible roads - especially the N81.

• Advertisement

The broadband speeds really depend where you live, but being at the foot of the mountain in Hollywood really ruins your chances of getting 4G in most places. However, in Blessington for example you have great internet especially with Wicklow Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

I wonder if you could tell me where would be the best place to park up to get up through the forest path to the top of Slievecorragh.  I'd like to see the chair and the teddy.
    I've driven up and down the R756 many a time but can't seem to find any obvious access point.  Looking at Googlmap there seems to be a way up via someone's garden path.  Is that the only access point - I don't want to be disturbing anyone.  And it looks like you can drive up a fair way through the forestry - or is that me fooling myself.
    I'd be grateful for any information at all

Nah there's a gate about a minute off the road, if you go up this road, you will eventually reach a circular clearing in the forest, but unless you want to hike through that, there is a concealed path straight through that will bring you out at a fence where there is a "path", more a cleared area beside the fence, where you can reach the top from. The teddy and chair will be somewhere on the top of the heather covered hill. Unbeatable views for miles and miles, but there is very strong winds. Would recommend a good pair of hiking boots or wellies

I assume your referring to this turn? That is the one I am speaking of, if you go there, treat yourself to a few drinks in the pub!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.0858762,-6.58064,3a,75y,231.91h,79.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOvI-IOgmg2m3awkrkR2EVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ticklebelly7

That's the turning I was looking at!  Thanks so much Jim.  I will give it a go in the summer when I'm over next.  And will drop into Tutty's afterwards if I have any stamina left at all.

Advertisement