Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gambling addiciton

Options
  • 09-12-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I'm 31 ive relapsed by having one bet on my phone about 3 weeks ago which has now lead to losing 10000 euro in the last two nights ...I've being addicted since 15 living for yrs spending my work money every fri and lying to survive the rest of the week for years ....this is my 4th relapse had stopped for 2years and the most money lost but I've stopped and still have money left

I've been at work today and sit in the house wondering after where can I get help My councillor who I've met for the last 5 years told me two years ago if it happens again he will advise me to go away into care for treatment so im scared to call him . My parents check my accounts every few weeks and I'm scared to hurt them again also and can't build the courage to tell them
    So I've rang a dif addiction councillor does anyone have any advice ? I feel very down I keep going threw the same cycles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

This is your 4th relapse. (Not a criticism but a comment)

Do you know what your triggers are? If you have spent as long as 2 years without gambling, what is it that brings you back to it? No need to answer here but it is something you really need to identify, accept and work on.

In patient treatment would help finally kick it, surely it's worth trying when all other options haven't worked to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerome77

Anything can trigger it, been there. The "disease" of gambling can lie dormant for a while unless you do something every day to keep it at bay. I suggest you google gamblers anonymous and make contact. Treatment centres are great and keep you free from gambling whilst you are in there... what happens when you get out ?

It is very insidious, best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is it the idea of going into a treatment centre that's holding you back? That's what I'm picking up on as you said by telling your current counsellor you have relapsed that's what they will probably suggest you do. You seem very much aware you have a problem rather than being in denial but don't let any perceived stigma about going into a treatment centre deter you if that's what's actually required to help you stay on top of this.

Once you take that step and overcome that mental barrier about going into treatment you might find it's actually an enormous relief. Ten thousand euro is a lot and while you might have money left if you don't nip it in the bud now you could end up with massive debts spiralling out of control in a short space of time which will make matters worse. Let your current counsellor know at least. You have succeeded in the past with support from your counsellor and with control measures in place from family. Try to build on that success again.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jonb1985

Thanks for all the advice guys very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I'd advise in patient treatment too - you are accepting of the problem which is a huge help. Do some research and see which ones offer follow on aftercare in your local area. GA is growing so research them to see if there's one close to you. They also usually have a phone number to ring too. Gambling is a serious issue in our society and of the most hidden addictions and least understood I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm very sorry to hear about your problem. There is a concrete step you can take right now to aid your path to recovery; self-exclude, permanently. Most bookies make it easy for you to self-exclude and it will protect you from falling back into the trap next time you feel tempted. Also, when you go into counseling you will be advised to do this so get a head start and do it now. When you're talking to your family you will be able to explain to them that you've self-excluded to show then you seriously want to stop. There are resources out there that can help, just google for them. Wishing you all the best.

Advertisement