Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

celtic short story comp

Options
  • 09-12-2016 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

i found this online

http://irishimbasbooks.com/irish-imbas-celtic-mythology-short-story-competition/

i noticed though that they say:
    By submitting a story to the Irish Imbas Books Celtic Mythology Short Story Competition the author acknowledges that, free of any fees or royalty payments, their short story and biography:
    • will be made available for publication in the Irish Imbas Celtic Mythology Collection (digital and hard copy version);
    im not sure if i should enter though is that good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I suppose it depends on how keen you are to try to get your work out and how strongly you feel about the undoubted injustice of not getting paid for your efforts.
    I'd go ahead unless you think your story has the potential to earn you royalties or generate income and very few stories do unless you are well established.
    If you do get published it would be good look good on a CV, is good publicity and somebody might see your biography.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally I think you should be paid for your work. If it's good enough for this publication then it is good enough for another one that will pay you. I think it's a disgrace and a con. They award three prizes and the rest they get for free. Plus you need to pay 7 dollars for the honour of them making money off your sweat and tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

But will they 'own' my story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Imbas

redser7 wrote: »
    Personally I think you should be paid for your work. If it's good enough for this publication then it is good enough for another one that will pay you. I think it's a disgrace and a con. They award three prizes and the rest they get for free. Plus you need to pay 7 dollars for the honour of them making money off your sweat and tears.
    Hi Redser. Given the number of scam writing competitions out there I think your scepticism is warranted but you have your wires crossed on this one (I should explain here that we run the competition - my cus copied me in on this thread).
    I think if you read beyond the competition field you'll see that the main goal of what we do (including the competition) is educating people on Celtic (predominantly Irish) mythology. Writing and books are a means of achieving this but its not our ultimate objective (although we really enjoy it) and we're pretty up front about that.
    The competition is a loss-making exercise that we subsidise. The digital version of the book is free, the hard copy doesn't cover its production costs. At the end of the day, we provide free information for people who're interested in the topic, three writers get a cash payment, two to three other writers get free visibility /publicity (and retain the rights to their story). That's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Imbas wrote: »
    Hi Redser. Given the number of scam writing competitions out there I think your scepticism is warranted but you have your wires crossed on this one (I should explain here that we run the competition - my cus copied me in on this thread).
    I think if you read beyond the competition field you'll see that the main goal of what we do (including the competition) is educating people on Celtic (predominantly Irish) mythology. Writing and books are a means of achieving this but its not our ultimate objective (although we really enjoy it) and we're pretty up front about that.
    The competition is a loss-making exercise that we subsidise. The digital version of the book is free, the hard copy doesn't cover its production costs. At the end of the day, we provide free information for people who're interested in the topic, three writers get a cash payment, two to three other writers get free visibility /publicity (and retain the rights to their story). That's pretty much it.

Fair enough, apologies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement