Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange event on Windows 10

Options
  • 09-12-2016 4:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was working away normally when there was a ping from the speakers and everything disappeared from my display except the backgound picture. I turned off at the switch and it came back normally.

I ran a malware program and it found nothing.

Later, it happened again and restarting did not solve it. Eventually I got into a screen that allowed me to change some display settingsthat went some way to restoring things back to the way they were. A bit more foostering got everything back to normal.

This has happened three times but everything is back to normal now. What could it be?

[I suspect it is a MS upgrade].

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Explorer is crashing (Explorer not Internet Explorer). It could be many many things as it many things add plugins to it. Even bad network shares can crash it.

First port of call is the event logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Try to see if it happens in safe mode.

But yeah, event viewer would be your best bet to narrow down what's the cause of explorer.exe crashing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have not seen a repeat for the last week or so.

Could it be a HDD fault? I did various scans that found nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Were those scans just for viruses/malware?

Did you do check the disk for errors for a possible hardware fault?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Did you check the event viewer before each time it happened?

Did you notice the same thing occurring in Safe Mode?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Unfortunately, when it's explorer.exe crashing, it could literally be anything at all.

If it's fixed itself, then it may have been a program like chrome that auto-updated itself, with the new version not causing the same issues. Or a windows update may have sorted it (and possibly caused it in the first place!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think it has fixed itself, so I await the next BSOD event.

I did a malware scan and found nothing. I must do a full back up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As several people have already suggested - if you want to get to the bottom of the cause, you need to look at the Event Viewer logs around the time the problem happened. I'd start with the System logs and go from there.

It could be that your display driver was causing a crash that took down the Explorer environment, but both display and Explorer processes then restarted succesfully. Or it could be a whole lot of other things.

There are a lot of people here who can help you, but only if you gather the information you need to accurately diagnose the problem.

Advertisement