Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance

Options
  • 09-12-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

I don't think we're allowed mention companies here or maybe it's just the one stickied but i hope it's ok to ask a general question.

My dog insurance is up for renewal & has gone up by €6 per month.

Is it ok to shop around or isn't there some stipulation when the dog is older that you should have been with the insurance company for years? Or is that only for claims for dogs over 5?

My dog is 2.5 years old.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Stick with who you're with or you're likely to be told whatever you claim for in the future is pre-existing. How much will it be per year with the increase?

My girls is €264.51 and my boy's went down to €323.26 this year (he's 7 now so I'll have to pay 35% of any claim...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

tk123 wrote: »
    Stick with who you're with or you're likely to be told whatever you claim for in the future is pre-existing. How much will it be per year with the increase?

My girls is €264.51 and my boy's went down to €323.26 this year (he's 7 now so I'll have to pay 35% of any claim...)

€274.79

thanks - it was this "pre-existing" thing I was trying to think of as the reason against switching
    they kind of have you over a barrel though don't they?

frash wrote: »
    €274.79

thanks - it was this "pre-existing" thing I was trying to think of as the reason against switching
    they kind of have you over a barrel though don't they?

Definitely! My friend changed and it cost them thousands! My boy as topped 10k in claims now :eek: I wouldn't be without insurance for either of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

:eek: My 11 y/o lab/setter cross is €156 and I thought that was expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My insurance is gone up to nearly 600 euro for Viktor this year. I had to claim for a Cruciate Repair. I cancelled the policies for the other 2 as there was a break in their vaccination history they wouldn't be covered.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    :eek: My 11 y/o lab/setter cross is €156 and I thought that was expensive.

He's had a good few operations and the renewal is a fraction of the cost of them so happy enough to pay it. His jaw was over 2k :eek:

I'm in the wrong job :(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Can anyone here recommend an insurance company to go with for a pup, she will be 3 months old when i collect her, a pedigree breed if that helps.

I'm with Allianz as mentioned above and no problems. Check with the vet you're going to be using eg do they have direct claim set up with one of the insurers or sometimes they'll have a card where you get a discount/few months free? With direct claim if your pet has an accident or needs an unexpected operation you pay the excess and the vet will claim the rest. Another thing with Allianz is that you just sign the form and they fill in the rest at the vets - when you're worried sick about your pet or god forbid they've died the last thing you want to deal with is paper work.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I'm with Allianz as mentioned above and no problems. Check with the vet you're going to be using eg do they have direct claim set up with one of the insurers or sometimes they'll have a card where you get a discount/few months free? With direct claim if your pet has an accident or needs an unexpected operation you pay the excess and the vet will claim the rest. Another thing with Allianz is that you just sign the form and they fill in the rest at the vets - when you're worried sick about your pet or god forbid they've died the last thing you want to deal with is paper work.

I was recommended the same Vet by a few different people so i will check with them about insurance.

Thank you, very helpful information :)

Advertisement