Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting list for public MRI scans Waterford

Options
  • 09-12-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, between last week and this week I have been placed on list for two MRIs by different clinics in Waterford. One is of my head and the other of my knee. I rang today to try and amalgamate both as it seemed to make sense both financially and time wise for the HSE. My head scan is urgent and my leg has been put down as routine. I was speaking to a very nice and helpful lady who regretfully informed me that my routine scan would take 18 months for a slot to become available and my urgent head scan would take 3 to 4 months!! My urgent scan involves looking for something quite life altering and now I face this length of time thinking about what could be going on in there and how much worse it could become whilst I'm waiting. My routine scan is needed as I broke my leg at work 15 months ago, and rather than healing the knee is becoming more painful all the time, not only that but I'm destroying my other leg in the process as when I have to walk I'm placing far more pressure upon it. I haven't been able to return to work so I'm stuck in limbo. Seriously 4 and 18 months respectively just to find out what's going on and not having treatment in the meantime. I believe some areas of the country have less demand for MRI scans, therefore would it not make sense for the HSE to have a list of such and place people on lists accordingly to prevent the uneven waiting lists for scans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Could you ring Whitfield and see how much it would be? It'll probably be €150 ish. If you can get that together, I'd go for it if I were you. You'll have an appt in a few weeks. They might even do both together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Berberie

Thanks nikkibikki I think I may just have to do that, what a crazy two tiered country we live in! Just checked prices and they start from €200 upwards for one individual area of the body and it depends how clear a pic doc wants as in how small an area they want to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

It's totally crazy! Euromedics will be cheaper but my GP told me their standard of reporting isn't as good as Whitfield.

Advertisement