If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Kitchen refurb / extension

  • 09-12-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

    (I have a few questions in this thread that I don't think fit in any one category, so hopefully it's ok to put it here).

    So I have a house in Dublin 9 and I'm thinking of refurbishing / extending the kitchen. The house was built in the early 60s and the kitchen (I think) was an extension added in the 80s. I bought the house 10 years ago during summer and put in a new kitchen at the time (i.e. new kitchen units in the existing kitchen space). What I didn't realise was that the kitchen structure itself wasn't insulated, only when the first cold day came along and the place was freezing.

    So I've been suffering through the winters ever since and vowing to knock and re-build some day when I get the chance. I really don't know much about planning and architecture in general, so I'd be wondering about things like can I extend outwards, how far I can extend without having to get planning permission, etc.

    Currently there's the kitchen part with the cooker, fridge, kitchen units, etc. then a dining area separated by an archway (with a thick wall that I'm pretty sure isn't load bearing so maybe not needed). The kitchen part is 350 cm wide and the dining area is 230 wide, which is 580 in total. The "depth" is approx 290 cm.

    What I'd like to do is open up the back and have all glass that opens into the garden, and incorporate a kitchen as well as dining / seating / tv area into the overall space. Also as it's a 3 bed semi space is a bit limited, so I'd be looking for someone that has a good eye for design and can make good use of the existing space.

    Budget wise I don't have a huge amount of money so I'd be hoping to get something done for around 50k. Is this reasonable? I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question but can anyone put a ball-park price on what I'm describing?

    So things I'm wondering:

    - do I need an architect for something like this or would a good builder know enough to do it?
    - based on the above answer is this kind of job something an architectural technician could do?
    - is there any advantage / disadvantage to an architect vs a technician?
    - based on the above answer can someone recommend an architect / technician for a job such as this?
    - do I need planning for something like this?
    - if the kitchen was put on in the 80s, is this included in the size of the area I can extend without having to get planning permission?

    As well as the above if anyone has any ideas for the space I'm all ears :)



  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭mike_2009

    I'm not going to be able to answer most of your questions but here are a few thoughts:
    watch out for the wall between the dining and kitchen space, find out if it's load bearing. You might be looking at some Steel to support opening up the space, no big deal but will require a Structural Engineer's input at some point, especially if you want all glass at the back - to support the extensions' roof. The roof is most likely not insulated, or the walls so dealing with that will be interesting. You can't do external insulation as you're already at the boundary so it will need to be internal. That's trickier to pull off without moisture / damp problems occurring so make sure you pick a Good builder / tradesman / insulation specialist to model the best solution or you'll be trading the extra heat for mould. Love the idea of opening it all up. Lift and slide doors will be cheaper than bi-folds and leave less interruptions to your view in the form of frames but you can included a pair of French doors for easy access / egress to keep the flow as sliding doors are harder to open/close.
    I'd say an Architectural Technician should be sufficient, my sister just used a builder but the extra could be worth it for their vision. Cost vs experience and check if any building control signoff is required in case you want to sell later on.
    Try Ideal Homes for free consultation with an Architect or sometimes they run charity events for 1 hour with a client if you give a donation - get ideas! There are also UK shows on regularly, nip over for the day and chat to a few.
    I don't think you need planning but ask the experts - I'm not sure about permitted development over the 30 year span.
    Check for original drawings?
    Good lighting will be important, is the Garden south facing by any chance?
    I'm sure others will have more comments so I'll leave you peruse their answers.....

  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

    Thanks for the input Mike. Ya I'll have to double check that wall and see if it's load bearing. The roof is sloped upwards on the outside and flat on the inside, so there's an air space in between that I insulated with fibreglass rolls years ago. Now I'd like to open up the ceiling and put in skylights as that space is just wasted at the moment.

    Insulation will be a problem alright so will need ideas on that also. That's a good tip re the doors. The garden is kind west facing and gets the sun in the late evening, will bear that in mind also.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    Possibly a draughtsman with some design experience joined by an engineer to implement the plan.

    Relativity straight forward process and planning advice given after site visit to investigate.

    Where are you based? May help people with recommendations.

  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

    I'm in Dublin 9.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    I'm in Dublin 9.

    Maybe ask around friends etc
    Check out local planning applications.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

    A couple of people have said this job is pretty straight forward and not overly complex. So would it make sense to talk to a quantity surveyor instead to get an idea of costs?

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    A couple of people have said this job is pretty straight forward and not overly complex. So would it make sense to talk to a quantity surveyor instead to get an idea of costs?

    Depending on their fee, you then have to put the proposal on paper in the form of a drawing for a builder.

  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

    kceire wrote: »
    Depending on their fee, you then have to put the proposal on paper in the form of a drawing for a builder.

    Ok so will still need an architect or technician. I understand that an architect's fees include detail drawings and also site visits etc. if they do the full package.

    For a job like mine if I was to just get the drawings for a builder, how much (roughly) would an architect / technician charge for this?