Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with a wedding website

• 08-12-2016 9:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting married overseas and I want to create a simple wedding website for all the info for my guests. I know exactly what I want on it, I just want one long page where they scroll down to see all the various info about the venue, transport, where to stay and a few other things. Right now I'm basically making a big word document with all the info and photos that I then need someone to make it into a website using something like Wix or Squarespace etc. I've built basic websites before but I need some help.

Would anyone be interested in doing this or where is the best place to find help on this without spending a fortune?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

1) don't use word.
    2) refer to 1)

If you're just collating the text, fair enough but whatever you do forget about transferring any tables/formatting/images from Word to a web page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm getting married overseas and I want to create a simple wedding website for all the info for my guests. I know exactly what I want on it, I just want one long page where they scroll down to see all the various info about the venue, transport, where to stay and a few other things. Right now I'm basically making a big word document with all the info and photos that I then need someone to make it into a website using something like Wix or Squarespace etc. I've built basic websites before but I need some help.

Would anyone be interested in doing this or where is the best place to find help on this without spending a fortune?

I find Weebly good for stuff like this, don't forget to add hyperlinks to hotel's site etc and some images

But as above poster said don't use word I would just go with an image a little bit of text below image and a hyperlink to relevant site

Squarespace might be worth a look if you fancy a DIY approach.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hahaha thanks no I know word is awful I'm just using it for text, links and photos, no layout.

I'm having a look at Wix and Squarespace - its the making it looks really nice, click and professional that is the problem for me.
    Maybe I'll get it all on there from my word doc, then see what I can do about making it look nicer

Word will more than likely mangle your photographs. Expect them to look like complete and utter crap by the time they're scraped out of word into a web page.

Just keep your original digital photos, putting them into a Word document to drag them back out later serves no purpose unless you're going for a 0.4 MegaPixel shot in the dark motif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you have a hosting account you could buy a .com domain (<15 euro) and put a free WordPress wedding theme on it.

Here is a list of 30+ free wedding themes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Convert your word doc to Google Docs.

You could use blogger and do it for free. Though it may not be pretty enough for you without some smarts.

Convert your word doc to Google Docs.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

there are loads of cheap wedding site builders out there that do the hosting as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graham wrote: »
    Why?

In fact ... you don't even need to use a website builder if you just want one long page.

Put the content into a Google doc, share it public on the Web, and then choose file > publish.

You get a shareable link to one long page, which you can give to anyone.

(This is unlike to be the pretty solution the OP really wants, but may help them to think about what they really do want.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and started playing about with Wix.com and its brilliant. I found a temple that I likedl - then I found a photo that worked as the main pack / background and its easy enough to build and it looks great. Some bits are fiddly but in a couple of hours I've actually got a pretty good site together.

Advertisement