Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Holyhead & Rosslare to Fishguard day trips for €6.50⛴

Options
  • 08-12-2016 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

http://www.stenaline.ie/christmasdayout

‘Tis the season to be jolly with our Christmas shopping day trip from Dublin to Holyhead!

Stock up on gifts for the whole family in our crowd-free, stylish onboard shop. There are fragrances, toys, gadgets, confectionary, wines, spirits AND up to 50% off compared to high street prices. We’ll even give you a £5 voucher to spend in our onboard shop. Then when you’re done, unwind with free movies or savour some winter warmers in our onboard restaurants and bars.

WHAT'S THE DEAL?
    Return foot passenger day trip
    Sail from Dublin and hop off the ferry in Holyhead
    €6.50 on Tuesdays per person
    €12 on all other days of the week
    £5 off onboard shopping voucher
    Available daily up to 15 December

Christmas Shopping Day Trip Deal:
    Applies to online bookings only.
    Day Trip is by foot and is the same price for adults (16+ years) and children (4 – 15 years). Infants (0 – 3 years) travel free.
    €6.50 fare applies to travel on a Tuesday only. Day Trip is €12 on all other days of the week.
    Available up to 15 December 2016.
    Book 48 hours in advance of travel.
    Travel from Dublin at 08.20 hours and return from Holyhead at 13.50 or 20.30 hours.
    Passengers must disembark the ferry in Holyhead.
    No refund if the booking is cancelled.
    Passengers are not permitted to bring luggage or own alcohol onboard.
    It is not valid in conjunction with any other offer, discount or promotion including Tesco Clubcard Boost tokens.
    No charge for payment by debit card; however, a €6 handling fee applies to payment by credit card.
    Subject to availability.
    The Stena Line Terms of Business together with these special conditions apply to all bookings and travel.

Onboard Voucher
    £5 shopping voucher will be printed at check-in before boarding the vessel on the outward crossing and is valid on purchases of £20 or above, excluding alcohol and promotional offers.
    One voucher will be issued per person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A couple of things to note:

They do this deal effectively year round, though the voucher seems to be an extra from the last time I did this.

During the summer season the Tuesday offer tends to sell weeks in advance, with better availability on other days.

While the voucher does make it a great deal (on Tuesday you basically travel for free) the shopping selection (Stena Adventurer - DUB-HHD) is not that great. You'll find something to use it on, but don't expect to be spoiled for choice.

I did the straight out and back to Holyhead, but going to Holyhead for the shopping is not a good choice. I would more recommend taking Stena Superfast X home around 8 in the evening, and using the extra time to get the train to Bangor (about 45 minutes -£10(ish) per adult return)

Good spot though, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Im waiting for Brexit and the duty free coming back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paumurp

I guess the question on this, is what constitutes luggage (that you're not allowed take on board)?

As the boat across arrives just before 12.00 and you can wait till the 8.30 ferry home, there's plenty of time to go to Bangor (about 30 mins) as already suggested, or even Chester if you don't intend to spend long there (takes about 90 mins to get there).

It also depends on type of shopping you'd like to do. Holyhead has all the big supermarkets, with a large Tesco & Morrisons and I think a home ASDA near McDonalds. There is also a Homebase, Argos and a large Wilkinsons (or was last time I went through Holyhead). There will also be whatever small shops are in the town centre too.

If not going for shopping, if you hop on a bus or train there is Bangor, llanfr...gogogoch, Beaumaris castle at one end, or South Stack lighthouse nearby

Is ok deal if you fancy a day out on the boat. But I'd say you'd need to check what you can bring back on the boat before booking for shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

paumurp wrote: »
    I guess the question on this, is what constitutes luggage (that you're not allowed take on board)?

As the boat across arrives just before 12.00 and you can wait till the 8.30 ferry home, there's plenty of time to go to Bangor (about 30 mins) as already suggested, or even Chester if you don't intend to spend long there (takes about 90 mins to get there).

It also depends on type of shopping you'd like to do. Holyhead has all the big supermarkets, with a large Tesco & Morrisons and I think a home ASDA near McDonalds. There is also a Homebase, Argos and a large Wilkinsons (or was last time I went through Holyhead). There will also be whatever small shops are in the town centre too.

If not going for shopping, if you hop on a bus or train there is Bangor, llanfr...gogogoch, Beaumaris castle at one end, or South Stack lighthouse nearby

Is ok deal if you fancy a day out on the boat. But I'd say you'd need to check what you can bring back on the boat before booking for shopping

I can see it as being shopping bags, backpacks and the like are good. Suitcases, rucksacks and the like are not.

Chester is of course an option, at approx £20 per adult return, getting in to Chester at 14:28, and back out at 17:25, giving you approx 3 hours to do your thing there.

If you are staying in the Holyhead area, the town centre has a Boots, Superdrug and Co-Op Food, while there are bigger supermarkets like Asda just outside the port area. A little further is a retail park, which has Brantano Shoes, New Look and the likes.

If you are going for the shopping, remember, if you buy it, you have to carry it, but it can be a fun day out.

(Also note that while photo ID is not an absolute necessity for this route, UKBA and Welsh Police do like to do spot checks, and will get a bit annoyed if you can't produce)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

vicwatson wrote: »
    Im waiting for Brexit and the duty free coming back :D

Duty free is effectively available on Irish Ferries right now as their ships are registered in Cyprus and therefore the alcohol and tobacco sold on board is subject to Cypriot duty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Quackster wrote: »
    Duty free is effectively available on Irish Ferries right now as their ships are registered in Cyprus and therefore the alcohol and tobacco sold on board is subject to Cypriot duty.

Interesting, do you have a source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

Irish ferries to France (Oscar Wilde) is registered in Bermuda !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Duty Free shopping has nothing to do with where the ship is registered. It's not duty free shopping if you're not leaving the EU - which you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'd have to pay me a lot more that €6.50 to spend the day in Holyhead.

alastair wrote: »
    Duty Free shopping has nothing to do with where the ship is registered. It's not duty free shopping if you're not leaving the EU - which you're not.

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that the Cypriot duty is so low that the prices charged on board are comparable to duty free prices.

As an example, on the J Swift a few weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of Connemara for €21. Mind you, it was on special offer, reduced from their regular price of €28.

The same whiskey is €26 duty free at Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that the Cypriot duty is so low that the prices charged on board are comparable to duty free prices.

As an example, on the J Swift a few weeks ago, I picked up a bottle of Connemara for €21. Mind you, it was on special offer, reduced from their regular price of €28.

The same whiskey is €26 duty free at Dublin Airport.

The ferry isn't applying Cypriot excise either. It can only apply the excise rates applicable to it's two port destinations. Perfectly possible to get a bottle for that price on UK excise rates.

The ferry isn't applying Cypriot excise either. It can only apply the excise rates applicable to it's two port destinations. Perfectly possible to get a bottle for that price on UK excise rates.

Be that as it may, that's the explanation that was given to me when I made enquiries.

Either way, I travel with Irish Ferries & Stena to/from the UK regularly and invariably pick up booze at a price similar to duty free at Dublin Airport on board Irish Ferries. Prices on Stena on the other hand are in line with UK supermarkets.

Selection on Irish Ferries isn't huge though (non-existent on the Epsilon) so I'm not advocating people travel with them simply to pick up booze.

Also, standard packs of cigarettes are €5-€6 on board (but you're limited to one or two packs).

Be that as it may, that's the explanation that was given to me when I made enquiries.

Doesn't make it any more valid though. You were misinformed. Excise is charged at the rate applicable in the state that the booze was loaded on the ferry, and the VAT applicable is based on the last port of departure. There's no wriggle room for anything Cypriot in that equation.

Doesn't make it any more valid though. You were misinformed. Excise is charged at the rate applicable in the state that the booze was loaded on the ferry, and the VAT applicable is based on the last port of departure. There's no wriggle room for anything Cypriot in that equation.

Fair enough if you know better than me but it doesn't change the fact that Irish Ferries sells booze at prices comparable to duty free and that makes me a happy traveller! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ony available for the next week....so much for getting away for a day over the christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,621 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Any idea of how much a bottle of 70cl Smirnoff is on the ferry?

Advertisement