Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on what to do next in life... need change

Options
  • 08-12-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a 25 year old female. I have a BA degree in Marketing and no interest in pursuing this area as a career.

I'm working on customer support the past two years but it is not an area or company I want to progress within.

I'm feeling pretty restless and fed up with my current situation.

I've basically decided that by September I will either go back to do a master's or go travelling. I cannot afford both, will need to get a loan to do either one.

But I do not know which to pick.

I've been looking to do a master's in HR as I find this area more interesting then Marketing and it's a practical choice based on my degree. I need a career and without a masters I don't have any real career prospects, even with a masters it will be a gamble.

Or to get a 1 year visa to New Zealand.

I know which will be more fun but less practical.

What would you do?

I never considered travelling before because I wouldn't dare miss out on time with my granny, who was like a mother to me. She passed away in September. I feel lost but know that there's nothing left to keep me close to home now. I'm also 6 months sober and feel the need to make the most of stuff, I need direction or change.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Travel.

Work will come.

Youth doesnt come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm 20.

If I had the option between travelling, or bettering myself so I have good career prospects, I would do the masters.

Travel in a couple of years when you have money from your HR job.

My favourite quote "What you plant now, you will harvest later"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

combine both sort of, go to NZ and try get an agency job in HR or something similar like a recruitment firm or even a payroll temp.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Travel & get yourself a temping role in a HR office before making a decision on a masters. Definitely don't commit to a profession-specific masters in an area you haven't worked in, the reality of it can be very different to what the job is like

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sarahf2k16

Travel & get yourself a temping role in a HR office before making a decision on a masters. Definitely don't commit to a profession-specific masters in an area you haven't worked in, the reality of it can be very different to what the job is like

Thanks for your advice. I thought of this, however, unlikely to get a job in HR when travelling, and the only work I can find without HR CIPD qualifications is an entry level recruitment role which is as much a sales position as a HR position.

On the other hand, doing a masters in HR would also significantly increase my changes of getting into a graduate program which would give you experience in different areas, eg. retail management grad program, or others that give you placement in different business functions.

I know my strengths are not with finance or marketing, HR is the logical choice and offers the best job prospects for me.

I would love to travel but realistically, I will need a loan to travel by September and can't imagine coming back to Ireland with no real career prospects and paying back or taking another loan and another year to do a full time masters and have no means for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi OP, this may not be of much help, but do keep in mind the fact that New Zealand is extremely expensive. I lived there for 18 months a few years ago and couldn't believe the prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Have you spoken to anyone who works in HR? Sometimes these sorts of jobs (would marketing fall into this category as well?) sound great in theory but aren't half as wonderful in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

sarahf2k16 wrote: »
    I know my strengths are not with finance or marketing, HR is the logical choice and offers the best job prospects for me.

Have you worked in HR at all? For people who enjoy it it's fantastic but it is a lot of people management - ie dealing with disputes, dealing with hiring (and firing!) people, being the bad guy for the organisation in terms of pulling people up over timekeeping etc plus also rakes of paperwork and legislation to be careful of. Not that it isn't a great area to work in but I would be 100% iffy on going and spending multiple thousands of euros on a masters in an area that you have not worked in, especially one like HR where people are often a bit fuzzy on what they'll actually be doing when they come out the other side. There is nothing less fun than being in the middle of an expensive course, burning candle at both ends and in the middle, and suddenly realising you hate the career you'll end up with at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Id do the masters then use it to get a good job in another country. You could get a really well paid job with a masters in Canada, the states, New Zealand, Australia or the UK. Youve got loads of time to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cath4711

In my experience, and the experience of many many people who have lived and worked abroad at your age (mid twenties) it is the most likely time in your life that you will meet someone - a life partner - and settle down. That is just a fact of life at your age. Have you asked yourself where you want to live at age 30, 35, 40? Where you want to establish family life/your home life?

I went away - for a year - to London - in 1987 and only because of a life event came back 23 years later! I am so glad I am back.

Just consider where you want your future before deciding. Some of my friend's were real home birds and never went abroad, others went and most of them are still abroad today. What about a long holiday - could that be an option? Only you will know, take lots of time considering the options, writing down all possible options - even options beyond travel and a Masters, what else could you be planning? Talk to as many people as possible about your thoughts and ideas. Trust yourself ultimately to know what is right.

Advertisement