Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varsity match - Dec 8th BBC 2

Options
  • 08-12-2016 1:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

Hi Chums

Just to let you know thats the annual varisity challenge match between oxford and cambridge is on today thursday @ 14.15 bbc2.

Should be a smashing match, jolly exciting i say...make sure to watch it with a glass of pimms :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I have been posting in general rugby thread of both sides games in recent weeks in prep for this..

Couple of irish guys playing and some also played in the reserve teams clash
    Cambridge are captained by Daniel Dass, winning his third blue. The number eight has previously played for the Ulster Under-19 side. Brian du Toit, who was Trinity’s player of the year in 2014 and 2015 is also in their back row. it is his debut in the Varsity match. Its also Jonathan Dixons
    Conor Kearns, former US underage International, but from Ireland and up to last season was in trinity is on bench for Oxford

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Cambridge haven't managed to win since I left there.

I presume those facts are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Cambridge won 23-18
    Was at work so didn't see the game
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38254392

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Crowd seems well down from what it was in its hey day. I know Sky had rights for a number of years so maybe a lot of interest was lost in this annual fixture plus fact that Oxford had won so many on the trot up to now and there had been a sense of inevitability.I think I'm right in saying that not that long ago crowds of c50,000 would have attended this match. I don't think yesterday's crowd got anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Crowd seems well down from what it was in its hey day. I know Sky had rights for a number of years so maybe a lot of interest was lost in this annual fixture plus fact that Oxford had won so many on the trot up to now and there had been a sense of inevitability.I think I'm right in saying that not that long ago crowds of c50,000 would have attended this match. I don't think yesterday's crowd got anywhere near that.
    Was it always played on a weekday afternoon though? Can't see many people besides family members and students being able to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Was it always played on a weekday afternoon though? Can't see many people besides family members and students being able to attend.

Always

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You get a surprising number of alumni there, it's definitely not just students. There was c.30000 there the last time I went in 2010.

Advertisement