Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shingles Question

Options
  • 07-12-2016 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

So, I've had a pain on the upper right side of my back for the last week. It started as a slightly sensitive feeling and then began to feel as though I had pulled a muscle.

On Sunday I noticed a small rash (quarter the size of a fist). The pain became worse up until today, it's now a searing pain, it almost feels as if I've spilled acid on my back. My right nipple is also extremely uncomfortable (but no rash).

Anyways, I went to the doctor this evening. When she saw the rash she immediately said it looked like early shingles. However, when I told her that I first noticed the rash last Sunday she said it most likely wasn't shingles as it should have spread in a ring since then.

She said it could be herpes simplex. I asked how I'd get that and she said it's basically normal herpes that one would experience when they get a cold sore but if I had been run down (which I am), I could develop it.

I was told to get Zovirax (which I did).

This doesn't feel like it could be herpes. Would herpes on your back make your nipple hurt?

When the doctor inspected the rash she said there were bumps which were telltale signs of shingles.

I suppose my question is, does it have to spread in a ring before being classed as shingles?

Comments

Advertisement