Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build showing no signs of life

Options
  • 07-12-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello all,
    Today I began building the pc I've been buying parts for for the last while. I finished building it and tried turn it on. Both power from the wall and on the psu were on but the PC seemed to not acknowledge that any power was going to it. No fans spun, no lights turned on, all buttons seemed unresponsive. I checked all wiring were done correctly but no luck. If anyone Knows anything or has experienced something similar please help.

These are my build parts:
    -Intel i3 6100
    -RX 480
    -CoolerMaster G550M
    -msi H110 Pro-VD mobo
    -Aerocool aero1000
    -An SSD and 8gb RAM

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Did the PSU fan turn on? If nothing is going then you've either wired it wrong or the PSU is bust. That's what it sounds like anyway.

The only thing to do is try another PSU or try that one in another PC. you've got an entire build and to rectify the issue you need to find out what part(s) are having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Try shorting the jumper where the power switch plugs into on the board with a screwdriver, just to rule out that

• Registered Users Posts: 36 K1NG_

The PSU fan didn't turn on but I'm almost certain that the wires are done correctly. In what way could the PSU be wired wrong ?

kingtiger wrote: »
    Try shorting the jumper where the power switch plugs into on the board with a screwdriver, just to rule out that
    Could this harm the PSU at all?

Nope it's just bypassing the power switch on your case, it might be as simple as the switch is fecked

It's the jumpers where you plug in your HD lights / reset button / etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi,

I used to build them myself. If all hardware is ok then its more than likely a jumper setting on the motherboard and/or the trigger for starting up the supply, usually on the motherboard if you have your connections done ok. Best thing to do is start with the minimum configuration , psu, ram , motherboard .
    Look up the spec etc on your motherboard too if you are unsure...
    If RAM IS INSERTED incorrectly , it will not boot. I'm assuming also your psu is ok.

I will have a look through the specs and make sure everything is wired in the right place. Was unaware that incorrectly placed RAM could stop the pc from starting. Still no luck but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

K1NG_ wrote: »
    I will have a look through the specs and make sure everything is wired in the right place. Was unaware that incorrectly placed RAM could stop the pc from starting. Still no luck but thanks

It won't boot but you're a step back from that. You're not even getting power.

It won't boot but you're a step back from that. You're not even getting power.
    Ah I see

If it wasn't the power switch, you may need to breadboard it, take the board out of the case and plug in the bare minimum and see does she fire up

• Advertisement

I'm going to recheck all the wires and check again if it is still unsuccessful I will try short the PSU and check for a sign of life.

I may try that also, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hardly just the PSU is turned off? What loose cables are coming from the PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Have you a voltmeter you. could check the power supply voltage you would want to understand what your doing shorting a connection I would not recommend this just from a safety point of view.

Hardly just the PSU is turned off? What loose cables are coming from the PSU

There is a spare wire coming off the gpu wire which I think is just for dual graphics cards. Apart from that there are no loose cables off the psu.

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Have you a voltmeter you. could check the power supply voltage you would want to understand what your doing shorting a connection I would not recommend this just from a safety point of view.

Ye I could check around the house but I'm almost sure we don't. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Hi, make sure and disconnect any USB headers to the case and try again.

I've seen people get the cables confused and if they are wrongly connected it will stop the PC starting (and damage the M/B USB's).

I would always advise to disconnect ALL equipment that isn't required to start the PC. So disconnect anything you can do without for the moment like DVD drives / Hard drives, any speaker connections etc.

Remove any add in cards like sound cards etc.

If PC starts then, turn it off, plug in one item and try again. Keep going till you find out which item is the problem one.

Deagol wrote: »
    Hi, make sure and disconnect any USB headers to the case and try again.

I've seen people get the cables confused and if they are wrongly connected it will stop the PC starting (and damage the M/B USB's).

I would always advise to disconnect ALL equipment that isn't required to start the PC. So disconnect anything you can do without for the moment like DVD drives / Hard drives, any speaker connections etc.

Remove any add in cards like sound cards etc.

If PC starts then, turn it off, plug in one item and try again. Keep going till you find out which item is the problem one.
    Don't have any add on's as this was only a budget PC. I just tried starting without the usb 3 wire in the mobo but still refused to give me any sort of life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

do you have the right amount of motherboard standoffs installed... it's always the motherboard standoffs

• Advertisement

do you have the right amount of motherboard standoffs installed... it's always the motherboard standoffs

I saw that somewhere and checked the back of my case I have exactly the right amount of standoffs for my mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Have you got the power switch wires connect to the right header?

yes all have been redone numerous times as is on the manual. I will try again though just to make sure

Well if the wires for the power switch are on the correct header. Next step is short the power switch just so you know if the switch is faulty.

Just want to make certain that theres no other reason behind this before shorting the PSU

It won't do any damage.

Just so you know where to short and not short the PSU.

What you do is short the two connections on the inside of the case on the power switch.

It won't do any damage.

Just so you know where to short and not short the PSU.

What you do is short the two connections on the inside of the case on the power switch.

How do I get in to short the wires?

K1NG_ wrote: »
    How do I get in to short the wires?

Good question. As all cases and switches are different, I do not know how you be able to do it on your case.

Where are you based anyway, maybe someone could help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Or send pics

Advertisement