Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R End of Year Awards 2016

Options
  • 07-12-2016 1:50pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's that time of year again, when the media start spreading rumours about who will be nominated, who deserves it the most, who will win, who will write the best speech etc..

Nominations will be considered from December 1st 2015 - December 20th 2016.
    Race of the Year
    Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra

Please send your nominations (one per category) by PM to me by 11:59:59 on December 20th. We will then take the nominations and put up a poll for each category to determine a winner who will receive a virtual high five.

As per other years, please don't slag off other peoples performances as they will not have been asked to have been selected.

Feel free to discuss and link posts, threads, race reports, reminders of performances etc in this thread to help refresh peoples memories before they nominate.

Normal Boards and A/R rules apply - no criticism of other poster's suggestions will be tolerated here.

So, the full list of categories to send nominations in:
    • Most Improved Athlete
    • New poster of the year
    • Poster of the year
    • Performance of the Year: Track & Field & XC
    • Performance of the Year: Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra
    • Race of the year
    • Thread of the year
    • Training log of the year
    • Race report of the year
    • Post of the year
    • Photo of the year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Race report of the year:

Jebuz' epic from Berlin, may as well give him the prize now.

Thread of the year:

Being bias here, but thought the Rotterdam 2016 thread was good, plenty of Boardsie interaction many of whom met in Rotterdam first time after the race.

Log of the year:

Some super logs here, enjoyed reading The Muppets great progress through the year culminating in a super DCM performance. There is so much to learn off Myles Splitz, jebuz and dublin runner's logs all filled with top quality training interspersed with superb race performances but for sheer entertainment and the odd bit of running thrown in I have to plum for TbL's log(€100 in the post for that!!)

Performance of the Year:

Ed McGourty's victory in the Connemara 100, words cannot describe how good that performance was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

tang1 wrote: »
    Race report of the year:

Thread of the year:

Being bias here, but thought the Rotterdam 2016 thread was good, plenty of Boardsie interaction many of whom met in Rotterdam first time after the race.

Log of the year:

Some super logs here, enjoyed reading The Muppets great progress through the year culminating in a super DCM performance. There is so much to learn off Myles Splitz, jebuz and dublin runner's logs all filled with top quality training interspersed with superb race performances but for sheer entertainment and the odd bit of running thrown in I have to plum for TbL's log(€100 in the post for that!!)

Performance of the Year:

Ed McGourty's victory in the Connemara 100, words cannot describe how good that performance was.
    +1 on Ed.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

tang1 wrote: »
    Race report of the year:

Thread of the year:

Log of the year:

Performance of the Year:

Abandoning the ole nominations by PM are we?

Feel free to discuss and link posts, threads, race reports, reminders of performances etc in this thread to help refresh peoples memories before they nominate.

Normal Boards and A/R rules apply - no criticism of other poster's suggestions will be tolerated here.

Think the first comment applies her A, and I'll ask you not to be so critical of my suggestions as the second comment implies!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Is there a race report for eds race?

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Is there a race report for eds race?

In his log Belfast 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

For me the outstanding T&F performance this year was Mulberry's gold for 100m in the National Masters Champs in Tullamore. Just thought I'd mention it here as she doesn't have a log (although is a regular poster) and people might not be aware. Mulberry only recently made the transition to track from road/XC and performed exceptionally well in a very competitive category.

Ok, I'm off to think about the rest ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Had no idea mulberry was a sprinter/national champion, lots of great runners knocking about here!

Eds race was a great tang thanks, these threads are great for catching the stuff you miss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Performance of the year Road/Tail/Track/Utra for me is Ososlo's Run the Kingdom 12 hour endurance race where she WON first female in only her second Ultra race. Having already put in a fantastic performance in the Belfast 24 hour race (which is also worthy of a nomination IMO). What an achievement.

Performance of the year Track/Field/XC +1 to Mulberry's GOLD in Tullamore, again in only her first year training for short distances she works hard and this was an incredible achievement. Bungy girl herself has had some great medal wins in track and field too so there's some choice for women in racing this year :)

Poster of the year for me is tang1, he makes sure to know who's racing where and when and is the first to congratulate or commiserate with some positive words. He supports everyone, gives some good advice and makes us all laugh with his TBL romance :D. A friend to everyone, all all round good guy who himself has made some fantastic improvements this year with his brilliant Rotterdam performance, even if he gave us all heart failure with a broken chip (or was that just me :p).

Log of the year: Speaking of TBL, I'd vote again for his log as log of the year. It's inspirational, funny, sad sometimes too but filled with his love for running and dedication to achieving his sub 3 goal (which will happen C.)

Thread of the year for me is the DCM Novices 2016 thread led by the wonderful Nop, he kept the ship on course, offering top notch advice and guidance to his mentees and we saw some fantastic debut marathon results in both Berlin (TG) and DCM. The thread has brought some new great posters to boards who will hopefully stick around.

I'm off to have a think about the other ones, this place is full of fantastic runners and their even more fantastic achievements!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

A fella who posts very rarely on here, Eau Rouge, put in 2 great performances. Berlin was a big PB at 2.34.56 and then he went and broke it in Dublin with a mid 2.33. This was a big year of training for him and I'd be interested to see if he can improve even more.

As I write, an even lesser spotted poster, Carta, is in 3rd place in the Desert Solstice in Arizona. 24hour US Champs I believe.

This place, probably understandably, is fairly provincial and navel gazing. So posters who don't back slap and don't have a group of followers don't usually get any votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Itziger wrote: »
    A fella who posts very rarely on here, Eau Rouge, put in 2 great performances. Berlin was a big PB at 2.34.56 and then he went and broke it in Dublin with a mid 2.33. This was a big year of training for him and I'd be interested to see if he can improve even more.

As I write, an even lesser spotted poster, Carta, is in 3rd place in the Desert Solstice in Arizona. 24hour US Champs I believe.

This place, probably understandably, is fairly provincial and navel gazing. So posters who don't back slap and don't have a group of followers don't usually get any votes.

Incredible going by Eau Rouge alright. That's one good thing about these awards - it gives the opportunity to highlight performances that might have been missed where there's no fanfare around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

kit3 wrote: »
    Incredible going by Eau Rouge alright. That's one good thing about these awards - it gives the opportunity to highlight performances that might have been missed where there's no fanfare around them.

Indeed, if they don't post here often it's hard for most of us to know about them, well done to both and thanks for highlighting Itziger.

I haven't looked at the categories in detail yet but Enduro's top ten finish in Sparta is hard to beat - he's had a great year all round, winning Spine etc but Sparta is a special one

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭UM1

I haven't looked at the categories in detail yet but Enduro's top ten finish in Sparta is hard to beat - he's had a great year all round, winning Spine etc but Sparta is a special one
    i voted for enduro in every category,even track and and field.......but ur right his performance in greece was quite exceptional..

UM1 wrote: »
    i voted for enduro in every category,even track and and field.......but ur right his performance in greece was quite exceptional..

Exceptional is right, especially given the profile of the race and the depth of the field - competing against the very best in the toughest conditions

For international quality this must be number 1 Boards performance, no?

yes.....but add in the spine and the east/west race(cant recall the name) ,24 hr champs.......#Ivamancrush

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

Maybe I've missed it, but Enduro doesn't seem to have a training log. Or is it a case that anybody posting counts towards awards? By that, I mean could Paul Pollock count towards performance of the year if he posted once on here?

Log of the year for me is the lad who failed to break 3hrs recently, Tbl. The yarns he spins are entertaining. Hopefully, the reason he's disappeared is that he's plotting another attempt to crack 3hrs. If he is, good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

I thought Grizzly whats his faces run on the WW out and back was pretty good but its enduro at sparthatlon for me.
    As a stand alone performance it was outstanding but add in the preceding goal races and there results, not to mention the non goal races including itera. I believe he also suffered a couple of injuries, one very close to sparthatlon. Athlete of the year for me.

Maybe I've missed it, but Enduro doesn't seem to have a training log. Or is it a case that anybody posting counts towards awards? By that, I mean could Paul Pollock count towards performance of the year if he posted once on here?
    yep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Reckon it has one or two challengers, One wasn't far off going to the Olympics but not my place to out people on boards.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Reckon it has one or two challengers, One wasn't far off going to the Olympics but not my place to out people on boards.

Well if we don't know what the performance was, we don't know who the poster is and so can't vote for him or her.

If someone posts on here and says, 'Ran 13.42 5,000 mts at XYZ meet yesterday' we'd be able to find out who it was fairly easily.

Joe Soap mightn't fancy being outed but elite/sub-elite are in the public domain already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Here's my current shortlist...

• New poster of the year

Maximus. Not strictly new, but newly prolific. Along with The Muppet, pays a lot of attention to the newbs on the C25K thread etc. Writes really well and added a lot to the DCM Novices thread.

• Poster of the year

Myles Splitz. He has been prolific this year (as always?), popping up on numerous threads with great advice, starting a bunch of interesting (sometimes provocative) threads and generally being a positive force of nature. It helps that he's an excellent runner and has a good training log too, not to mention putting plans together for about half the people here.

Enduro at the Spartathlon.

• Race of the year

- 3/4 marathon: Nice food out on the course and very well organised. The watermelon at the end was the best meal I ate this year. Only negative was a not great start setup, though nobody is running this as a target race so it wasn't that important.
    - Raheny 5: My first time this year, very impressed with the setup and, of course, the goodie bag :)
    - MSB St. Patrick's 5k: The race HQ is in The Mansion House, and it's around some of the nicest parts of Dublin city centre, what's not to like? Also I went under 20 minutes for the first time here :D

• Thread of the year

The sub-3 hour support thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191/97
    Why do you post on A/R?: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057585902/3

TBL's log. Passion, humour, dedication, slagging matches, some great running, loads of travel and a tragic calf injury at the end.

Jebuz's Berlin, both parts. He's gonna win :)
    Dubgal - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99440920&postcount=1761
    Enduro - Do linked blogposts count? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101483235&postcount=41

• Post of the year

Krusty's pre-DCM Braveheart moment: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101502939&postcount=1825
    Krusty impersonating UM1: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100839599&postcount=7817

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Singer wrote: »
    Here's my current shortlist...

• New poster of the year

Maximus. Not strictly new, but newly prolific. Along with The Muppet, pays a lot of attention to the newbs on the C25K thread etc. Writes really well and added a lot to the DCM Novices thread.

• Poster of the year

Myles Splitz. He has been prolific this year (as always?), popping up on numerous threads with great advice, starting a bunch of interesting (sometimes provocative) threads and generally being a positive force of nature. It helps that he's an excellent runner and has a good training log too, not to mention putting plans together for about half the people here.

Enduro at the Spartathlon.

• Race of the year

- 3/4 marathon: Nice food out on the course and very well organised. The watermelon at the end was the best meal I ate this year. Only negative was a not great start setup, though nobody is running this as a target race so it wasn't that important.
    - Raheny 5: My first time this year, very impressed with the setup and, of course, the goodie bag :)
    - MSB St. Patrick's 5k: The race HQ is in The Mansion House, and it's around some of the nicest parts of Dublin city centre, what's not to like? Also I went under 20 minutes for the first time here :D

• Thread of the year

The sub-3 hour support thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617191/97
    Why do you post on A/R?: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057585902/3

TBL's log. Passion, humour, dedication, slagging matches, some great running, loads of travel and a tragic calf injury at the end.

Jebuz's Berlin, both parts. He's gonna win :)
    Dubgal - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99440920&postcount=1761
    Enduro - Do linked blogposts count? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101483235&postcount=41

• Post of the year

Krusty's pre-DCM Braveheart moment: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101502939&postcount=1825
    Krusty impersonating UM1: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100839599&postcount=7817
    I missed both those Krusty posts, thanks for bringing them to my attention. Brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tick Tock :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Couple of categories where we're looking at landslide victories before it even goes to the polls! :eek:

3 hours...12 minutes to nominate guys and gals. :)

Advertisement