Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be your perfect tv channel?

Options
  • 06-12-2016 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking with the rebrand of TV3 and it's sister channels I thought why not start a thread and ask if you were to launch your channel what would you show on it. For me as I like westerns, 70s and 80s shows like Hawii Five o, The Streets Of Sanfrancisco, Mannix, Knight Rider, The A Team and Hill Street Blues. In the mornings I would start the channel at 7.am with say a half hour of news and paper review followed by say two old westerns from the 50s after the old movies around 10.30 am to 1.00 pm i would put in some vintage comedies like Taxi, the Odd Couple, Alf, Mork and Mindy and maybe Different Strokes. 1.30 pm I would have a half an hour news bulletin followed a block of music videos from the 70s and 80s which would run until 2.00pm to 5.00pm. From 5.00pm to 7.00pm i would start of the evening with the 70s and 80s shows mentioned above and for primetime a live football match or a good selection of action movies to finish off the night. It would be interesting to hear your ideas. The name of my channel would be channel mix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I do think there's a market for an 80's tv channel, I am not sure whether there's a rights issue with someone buying them up for UK viewers but none of the major shows like A-Team, Knight Rider and the others you mentioned are repeated the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The A-team has been reshown on Forces TV in the 600s on Freesat which I only discovered by luck (not that I was much of a fan of it back in the day). Sometimes series crop up in unexpected places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Yes I do think there's a market for an 80's tv channel, I am not sure whether there's a rights issue with someone buying them up for UK viewers but none of the major shows like A-Team, Knight Rider and the others you mentioned are repeated the last couple of years.
    I think Bravo was the last channel to show the ATeam and Knight Rider. I would love to know just for fun what type of channel people would launch if the they had the resources. Just throw out your ideas for a bit of fun.

The A-team has been reshown on Forces TV in the 600s on Freesat which I only discovered by luck (not that I was much of a fan of it back in the day). Sometimes series crop up in unexpected places.
    Is it still on my son would have loved it. I know they were shown Hogans heros and Sargent Bilko not a fan. I suppose anything war related could turn up on that channel.

It;s on next at 2 PM tomorrow, set your VCR! :D They are also showing Danger UXB with Anthony Andrews which was well regarded back in the day.

• Advertisement

It;s on next at 2 PM tomorrow, set your VCR! :D They are also showing Danger UXB with Anthony Andrews which was well regarded back in the day.
    Thanks for that. VCR your taking me way back now. Danger UXB I can't recall that but will keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for that. VCR your taking me way back now. Danger UXB I can't recall that but will keep an eye out for it.

It was very good, made by Euston Films who did the likes of Van der Valk, The Sweeney, Minder, Quatermass and Reilly: Ace of Spies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I would like Mogilla Gorilla, Yogi Bear and quick draw mcgraw early morning, F Troop around 10am followed by CHiPs and maybe the Rockford Files or Columbo to ease me into the afternoon, an afternoon of Dallas followed by the Fall Guy and Batman or maybe on the buses.
    The Wire, Breaking Bad or The Sopranos as the highlight of the evening.

I would like Mogilla Gorilla, Yogi Bear and quick draw mcgraw early morning, F Troop around 10am followed by CHiPs and maybe the Rockford Files or Columbo to ease me into the afternoon, an afternoon of Dallas followed by the Fall Guy and Batman or maybe on the buses.
    The Wire, Breaking Bad or The Sopranos as the highlight of the evening.
    yes a couple of good ones there to fill the schedule. If I had enough space in the schedule i would throw in Snoopy, Mr magoo, the old Daffy duck and Speedy Gonsalis. I would also stick on Dusty's Trail, The High Chaparall and maybe Mannix, Magnum PI and Automan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

I think Bravo was the last channel to show the ATeam and Knight Rider. I would love to know just for fun what type of channel people would launch if the they had the resources. Just throw out your ideas for a bit of fun.

I'd launch or rather re launch Bravo. Or a Bravoesque channel like the Bravo of the late 90's with all the classic shows like The Avengers, Time Tunnel, Tour of Duty etc. Not the crap it was when Sky closed it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

yes a couple of good ones there to fill the schedule. If I had enough space in the schedule i would throw in Snoopy, Mr magoo, the old Daffy duck and Speedy Gonsalis. I would also stick on Dusty's Trail, The High Chaparall and maybe Mannix, Magnum PI and Automan.
    Haha, Mr. Magoo! Haven't seen that on TV in decades! Can just vaguely remember it now.

medoc wrote: »
    I'd launch or rather re launch Bravo. Or a Bravoesque channel like the Bravo of the late 90's with all the classic shows like The Avengers, Time Tunnel, Tour of Duty etc. Not the crap it was when Sky closed it.

Of course you couldn't go wrong with Minder in the afternoon or evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Early morning I'd like the Brady Bunch,Black Beauty ,Little House on the Prairie,The Walton's ..

Midday would be Upstairs Downstairs,Dallas,Kojak,Cannon, Some Mothers do Ave Them and a few quiz shows..

Evening would be Blind Date,Gladiators,TFI Friday,Street mate ,Bad Boys..

If I had a duvet day off work I'd watch back to back Steve Willis,Jeremy Kyle,Maury ect ...shameful I know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

All those kids shows from the 90's - Round The Twist, Eerie Indiana, Pugwall, Spellbinder, The Girl From Tomorrow, Art Attack, Fun House during the afternoon.

Then in the evening, light entertainment like The Generation Game, Big Break, Gladiators

Night time would have comedies like Sunny In Philadelphia, Seinfeld, Married With Children

After midnight - Dream Team during the Hocknell years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

iseegirls wrote:
    Night time would have comedies like Sunny In Philadelphia, Seinfeld, Married With Children

Totally forgot about Married with Children..that was so funny.

iseegirls wrote: »
    All those kids shows from the 90's - Round The Twist, Eerie Indiana, Pugwall, Spellbinder, The Girl From Tomorrow, Art Attack, Fun House during the afternoon.

Then in the evening, light entertainment like The Generation Game, Big Break, Gladiators

After midnight - Dream Team during the Hocknell years. :D
    I think a lot of those game shows are on challenge at the moment. The comedies you mentioned were great I would put in the Golden Girls and silver spoons. Also I remember getting up early on a Saturday morning and watching Penelope pits stop,Hr puffing snuff and the Banana splits.Good old days long gone.

I think a lot of those game shows are on challenge at the moment. The comedies you mentioned were great I would put in the Golden Girls and silver spoons. Also I remember getting up early on a Saturday morning and watching Penelope pits stop,Hr puffing snuff and the Banana splits.Good old days long gone.

I bought a HR Pufnstuf box set a few years ago,not a good experience. Some shows are meant to stay as memories and not be experienced again.
    Could be worse I know a bloke who bought the entire box set of Dogtannion and the three muskahounds, it took him a long time to recover.

Colser wrote: »
    Early morning I'd like the Brady Bunch,Black Beauty ,Little House on the Prairie,The Walton's ..

Midday would be Upstairs Downstairs,Dallas,Kojak,Cannon, Some Mothers do Ave Them and a few quiz shows..

Evening would be Blind Date,Gladiators,TFI Friday,Street mate ,Bad Boys..

If I had a duvet day off work I'd watch back to back Steve Willis,Jeremy Kyle,Maury ect ...shameful I know ...
    Ah the Brady Bunch and Black Beauty I remember watching them on a Saturday morning after Seasamee Street. Little House on the Prairie a family favourite as was the Waltons. The Waltons are currently on TG4 each day at 1.00pm. Some good schedule fillers there.

I bought a HR Pufnstuf box set a few years ago,not a good experience. Some shows are meant to stay as memories and not be experienced again.
    Could be worse I know a bloke who bought the entire box set of Dogtannion and the three muskahounds, it took him a long time to recover.
    Dogtannion and Muskahounds I do remember. The thing back then was we had so little content choice so of course any sniff of a cartoon or something American we were glued to it. I wouln'd but those two in my shedule and I definitely wouln'd buy the box sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

My perfect channel is combination of Discovery World Europe ,History Channel Europe , Europe Discovery Science, and UK Gold and Dave, Yesterday Channels .

Because what people are paying for on sky is old programming, while the programming on the european versions of Discovery and History Channels is only fews weeks old or even less

That,s My Channel !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Dogtannion and Muskahounds I do remember. The thing back then was we had so little content choice so of course any sniff of a cartoon or something American we were glued to it. I wouln'd but those two in my shedule and I definitely wouln'd buy the box sets.

Now I've got that feckin theme tune in my head. Thanks!

Another cartoon from that era was The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Often wondered why there wasnt a retro kids channel, ie show kids programs from 70s/80s/90s. Nostalgia fest. Some of the old UK ones Josseys Giants (Bryan Robson appeared in one episode), Simon and the Witch, Gruey, Johnny Briggs. God, I watched way too much TV as a kid :D

They just bring them back - Thunderbirds, Clangers, Thomas the Tank Engine, Danger Mouse etc!

They just bring them back - Thunderbirds, Clangers, Thomas the Tank Engine, Danger Mouse etc!
    These are all great kiddies programmes but what would you fill the rest of the channel with and what would you call the channel?

If I were inventing a channel it would actually be quite high flown - tv is now made for idiots with little or no attention span - viewers made stupid by MTV, ad breaks and the internet. So I'd be going big on things like Connections, Shock of the New, Ireland A TV History, Ways of Seeing, Cosmos (trouble is most of that is now out of date!), John Le Carre series, I Clavdivs, Dennis Potter, and the like with cream de la creme of cinema esp the best of French, Italian, German and Japanese which terrestrial telly has largely abandoned (I grew up when you could see Chabrol, Brunel, Schlöndorff, etc late on a weekend night on BBC Two) I'd also bring back Moviedrome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Definitely 70s/80s with some 60s stuff thrown in.

Think Sky Channel back in the day.. stuff like Mr Ed, My Favorite Martian, Green Acres, The Green Hornet, The Time Tunnel, Chips, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Mission Impossible, Magnum PI etc.. and cartoons from that era at weekends (as in the old Fun Factory show Sky had on Saturday and Sunday mornings)

Throw in some classic 70s/80s movies in the evenings and some tunes from that era - sorted! You'd think it'd be cheap enough too from a rights perspective.

As for the name, basically I just want Sky Channel back :p

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Think Sky Channel back in the day.. stuff like Mr Ed, My Favorite Martian, Green Acres, The Green Hornet, The Time Tunnel, Chips, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Mission Impossible, Magnum PI etc.. and cartoons from that era at weekends (as in the old Fun Factory show Sky had on Saturday and Sunday mornings)

Throw in some classic 70s/80s movies in the evenings and some tunes from that era - sorted! You'd think it'd be cheap enough too from a rights perspective.

Again a channel I would definitely watch. Interesting how a lot of posters are going for the 70s ,80s and 90s. Just shows how nostalgic many of us have become and how good TV was back then.

If I were inventing a channel it would actually be quite high flown - tv is now made for idiots with little or no attention span - viewers made stupid by MTV, ad breaks and the internet. So I'd be going big on things like Connections, Shock of the New, Ireland A TV History, Ways of Seeing, Cosmos (trouble is most of that is now out of date!), John Le Carre series, I Clavdivs, Dennis Potter, and the like with cream de la creme of cinema esp the best of French, Italian, German and Japanese which terrestrial telly has largely abandoned (I grew up when you could see Chabrol, Brunel, Schlöndorff, etc late on a weekend night on BBC Two) I'd also bring back Moviedrome :)
    To be honest I'm not very familiar with any of those programmes but im'sure there is an audience out tnere for such a niche channel. SKY Arts might show some of the shows you mentioned. Performance Channel used to show some great concerts from the likes of Jhonny Cash, Barry Manalowe,James Last and Frank Sinatra I used to watch it a lot until it closed down. Sky Arts is ok but for me the Performance Channel was the best.

To be honest I'm not very familiar with any of those programmes but im'sure there is an audience out tnere for such a niche channel. SKY Arts might show some of the shows you mentioned. Performance Channel used to show some great concerts from the likes of Jhonny Cash, Barry Manalowe,James Last and Frank Sinatra I used to watch it a lot until it closed down. Sky Arts is ok but for me the Performance Channel was the best.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Again a channel I would definitely watch. Interesting how a lot of posters are going for the 70s ,80s and 90s. Just shows how nostalgic many of us have become and how good TV was back then.

Advertisement