Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt - when to change and approx cost

Options
  • 06-12-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I drive a 04 Renault Megane and I've just been told by the mechanic that it is critical. It has 74,000 miles on it and it was changed back in 2010 with very minimal driving done on it since (car belonged to my grandad, he barely drove it, I got left it in the will, only drive it at weekends).
    i'm being quoted €600. I thought you had to go by the 50,000 miles rule about timing belts? Can someone give me advice on this as I don't want to have to fork out mad money just before Xmas. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A timing belt is made of rubber which is perishable with time as well as wear so usually a time interval applies as well as mileage. When doing very low mileage you should go with whichever comes first. If the belt is 7 years old I'd tend to be cautious and have it replaced sooner rather than later. BTW was it a main dealer who quoted you €600?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€600 seems very expensive. Try get a few more quotes.

Your car is worth very little. I wouldn't spend €600 on a timing belt for it. Either get it done cheaper or play "timing belt roulette" - basically just keep driving the car and hope for the best. Chances are you can get another year or two out of the belt. But be prepared to have to scrap the car should the belt fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

unkel wrote: »
    €600 seems very expensive...
    These have a stretch bolt and non keyed lower sprocket, even when tightened correctly they can slip and ruin the engine, not many people want to touch a timing belt due to the risk of being on the hook, I'd say that's why the quote is alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

rex-x wrote: »
    These have a stretch bolt and non keyed lower sprocket, even when tightened correctly they can slip and ruin the engine, not many people want to touch a timing belt due to the risk of being on the hook, I'd say that's why the quote is alot.

Had a same thing with citroen picasso few years back. I'd say that 600 is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

You didn't say which engine you have on that Megane, op. I had a 2001 1.4 years ago, and got the belt + water pump job done for 390€ at an independent garage in Cork (which had the special locking tools required); Renault asked 550€.

Of course, it's entirely possible that a different engine has a totally different price for the job; You absolutely need to get it done sooner rather than later anyway, the mechanic is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If it's 1.5dci the intervals are 160k kms or 5 years. Renault dealers do a menu price of €600 on these. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an independent to do it cheaper.

Advertisement