Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Max PC Steam Key €3.59

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

griffzinho wrote: »

Fantastic value as it's a game with a lot of playtime if you do the side missions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

A great, if flawed game but at that price it's a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I picked it up as an impulse buy and I'm seriously regretting wasting 3 euro.
    The atmosphere is quite well done, but the rest of it ...
    It's a lazy console port anyway, but the worst bit is ridiculously broken checkpoints. Last straw was losing about an hour's play, during which time I completed at least two side missions, because the save randomly jumped back to before that.

Whole thing feels oddly like a reskinning of Farcry 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

MOH wrote: »
    It's a lazy console port anyway, but the worst bit is ridiculously broken checkpoints. Last straw was losing about an hour's play, during which time I completed at least two side missions, because the save randomly jumped back to before that.

Have you verified the game files in Steam? I had similar issues with cut scenes not working correctly and inability to complete missions.

MOH wrote: »

I thought it was a fantastic port, it plays well. That being said the game gets boring quick, very grindy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I thought it was a fantastic port, it plays well. That being said the game gets boring quick, very grindy.

Agreed. I thought it was a fantastic technical game when I got it at launch. I really enjoyed the first zone, but by the time I finished that zone, there were two others, as I couldn't deal with that grind, so I focused on the main story. Great game, great story, fantastic environment, and really good car combat. The hand to hand is basically Batman, but it still works. For this price, it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

chrislad wrote: »
    Agreed. I thought it was a fantastic technical game when I got it at launch. I really enjoyed the first zone, but by the time I finished that zone, there were two others, as I couldn't deal with that grind, so I focused on the main story. Great game, great story, fantastic environment, and really good car combat. The hand to hand is basically Batman, but it still works. For this price, it's a no brainer.

I really wanted to like it, but I've just found it awful.
    Basic stuff like:
    No key rebinding, made worse by the fact the same key is used for multiple context sensitive actions. So if you're a fraction off trying to block an attack you end up aiming your shotgun. Which in turn is made worse by the fact that once an animation starts you're locked into it, and end up getting hit while it plays out.
    Insane load times. There's no "Quit to desktop" option, just a quit to main menu, which takes 30+ seconds to load for no reason whatsoever. I usually just end up killing the process. Yet somehow reloading into a region of the game after being killed is much faster, and there's no obvious transition time on the world map.
    You can't alt-tab and do anything else without being stuck with the game audio..
    The tutorials are woefully inadequate. I've ended up finding out key information three times after googling it in frustration. I was at least 6 hours in before discovering there was a 'jump' key, while trying to activate an otherwise inaccessible balloon.

It's more frustrating, because I found the mood and the story decent enough. But it's really obviously primarily a console game with minimal though gone into the PC version, and I hate giving money to that kind of thing.

Advertisement