Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert music

Options
  • 05-12-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

My Daughter is in TY. She is on grade 5 piano. Plays trad fiddle for past 6 years. Did not do music for junior cert. do you think she would find it too hard to take music for the leaving cert as one of her 7 subjects in school. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭sligolad1

50% of lc is practical so she'd be better prepared than most for that. She would need to learn how to do the harmony/melody questions (worth 25%) but doable if she has a good teacher/knows someone who's done lc music. Rest of test is on Irish music and set works etc which should be covered in class. Definitely doable I think if she's interested and prepared to put a bit of work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Heavy water

Thank you very much Sligolad1. That's good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya go for it, she'd want to be having a chat with the music teacher in the school about it. If only to reassure the teacher that she has some knowledge of theory.

To get her up to speed with the theory aspect I'd advise her to aim for a grade 4-5 standard with ABRSM (theory exams) . You can buy the workbooks online, she could probably start at a grade 2 herself and work through them until she finds it getting difficult. Then get up to speed with her instrumental teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Heavy water

She chatted with her music teacher who said she'd have to work hard at the melody part and cautioned her to do it for the right reasons, I'll get a look at those theory books. She thinks she'd enjoy music. Thanks for the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

She'll be grand, I had a couple of students in the past who thought they'd just rock up to the practical and lash out a few pub tunes (fields of athenry, irish rover) and then throw down a few random notes and guesses in June expecting to get an honour! They really made me work for my wages that year .. Not even a thanks was imparted after. So you can see how her teacher would be a bit cautious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement