Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable voucher amounts

Options
  • 05-12-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of nieces and nephews and am under a bit of pressure this Christmas financially, so I was thinking of getting Cinema vouchers. What's an acceptable amount without breaking the bank? Is €10 too low? Maybe €15 is the right amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

You'd spend less on a few bits and bobs in either a euro shop or Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have a lot of nieces and nephews and am under a bit of pressure this Christmas financially, so I was thinking of getting Cinema vouchers. What's an acceptable amount without breaking the bank? Is €10 too low? Maybe €15 is the right amount?

Just give cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tenner is enough. And get a few of those voucher books from McDonalds/Burger king they hand out and they will be well sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

A few butter vouchers. And they should be happy to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

If you've a lot of Nice's/nephews can you not arrange a Kris kindle thing where aunts/uncles buy for 1 or 2 kids each?
    €10 is a bit low for a cinema voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't get vouchers. It's like turning money into less useful money.

I get you want to look like you've made an effort, but they really are terrible things.

I've upgraded one of my nephews to cash gift this year, he's 16 (ish, I think) and there's no point me trying to figure out what he likes, he's getting cash, he'll prefer it, I'll I'll prefer not having to go into the shops. I do the same for my younger sister, the moneys much more useful to her as she's still in college.

Adults get something cheap, again, pointless me wasting time getting something they already have or don't want. Only people I put effort into is the two youngest nephews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

In my family we only buy for our godchildren as no-one can afford to buy for all the kids.

If you have to buy them all something though I think cinema vouchers are a good idea. Is there any special deal where they get a ticket and a popcorn deal or something?

Don't give in to pressure from people saying a tenner is not enough. If that's all you can afford then that's plenty. Kids get far too much crap at Christmas.

When we used to give all the kids presents they couldn't even tell you by Christmas evening who gave them what, it was total overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The cinema's extortionate..might be better as cash

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

We do tenner in a card here - too many of them to be buying for (thats my husbands side) my side we pick a child out of a hat & buy for them only €40 max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

i would give E15, but as others have said give them the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Voucher worth say 16.50 each, but only redeemable at the bank of Melisandre121, which charges a commission of 1.50. That way you make a tidy profit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

sugarman wrote: »
    20quid, you wouldn't even get a cinema tickets for a tenner in most places these days

Also. Why not give cash? Vouchers are always risky business with businesses shutting up shop. Look at HMV last year and the year before.

The reason I don't want to give cash is because at least the voucher looks like some thought has gone into it, cash is pretty lazy no?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

A tenner wouldn't get you popcorn at the cinema. A tenner in a card would be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

How old are the kids? Are they old enough to go to the Cinema on their own? I would be worried if they are not would their parents be spending money by adult tickets to go with them, buy popcorn, get them there etc and that it would end up as a major expenses for them.

If the kids are older maybe consider getting them credit for their mobile phones. For younger kids Tiger, TK Maxx, Dunnes Stores etc have nice bits and bobs that you could make up a little bag of gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Madness buying gifts for individual nieces and nephews. Suggest a Kris kindle. Everybody will be secretly delighted to opt for it, I'd bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

The reason I don't want to give cash is because at least the voucher looks like some thought has gone into it, cash is pretty lazy no?

Vouchers are no less lazy than cash in a card. As was said earlier it's taking money and making it less useful. They could be saving up to buy a video game or something and the cash would be way better than a cinema voucher. Kids don't put that much thought into these things.

I'm 21 and I prefer money in a card to any oul ****e someone picks up. 20 quid is far more appealing to me than another lynx gift set.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Draugan

I'd say €20 - €25, but its a gift so only spend what you can afford OP and don't get to wound up about it like

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Best example I can give is we got a dunnes gift card from my OHs parents, but we don't shop in dunnes so it ended up being less useful than if they'd given us a 100 euro cash we could've used it in Aldi for grocery shopping or my wife could've used it in penny's or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭VonLuck

sugarman wrote: »
    Not at all! Especially to kids!

I think the idea of vouchers is good. It forces the person to spend money on themselves, on something like clothes or a trip to the cinema.

With money it just goes into a pool along with your own money and it's not really assigned to anything. You may as well have used it to pay for your groceries, which defeats the purpose of gifts in my opinion.

It's all about getting people something they wouldn't normally buy for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Del2005 wrote: »
    Just give cash.

Yeah never understood the voucher, Cash is the best voucher invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

A 10e voucher for Easons would give better scope IMO. Or cash with a token 2.50 max present, to suit their taste : spiderman stickers for one, a blue berry Penney's lip balm for another...or the bubble gum roll their parents never let them pick...
    If they are spoiled they might not appreciate, but ii reckon most kids are good, and will love the more personal intention regardless of price.

Advertisement