Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tritium keychain inducing current in a coil...I'm confused

Options
  • 05-12-2016 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I did not in fact know you could buy Tritium keychains. I was under the impression it was too hot to handle.

In this video on Youtube. At one minute. The guy passes his copper coil over the the Tritium keychain. The LED lights up. I know how electrical induction works, but this does have me confused. I didn't know you could do this with radioactive samples.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I imagine that keychain is a magnet and there's a reed switch and a button cell hidden under that black tape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

TheChizler wrote: »
    I imagine that keychain is a magnet and there's a reed switch and a button cell hidden under that black tape.

I think the keychain really is tritium, because other people have videos doing different things with them. It's a small amount of some tritium compound, in some kind of casing/shielding that fluoresces. I don't know, in theory passing charged particles through the hoop of the coil should induce a current, but I'm confused as to what's going on here.

Advertisement