Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei B593-22 Limit Monthly Bandwidth Usage

Options
  • 05-12-2016 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to limit the monthly bandwidth usage on a Huawei B593-22

I'm on a 60gb limit and occasionally go over, which is very expensive, although I have an extra 15gb on my phone which I can use. I'd like the router to simply stop when it reaches the bandwidth limit...at which point I'd set up a mobile hotspot.

If it can't be done with the Huawei, is there another 4g router that can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

As far as I'm aware of, none of the Huawei based routers can limit the monthly usage, at least not the B593 series anyway.

There are a few options to consider:

1 - Get a cable router that has this capability and just use the Huawei B593s-22 for the connection. Basically you would connect the router's WAN socket to a LAN socket of the Huawei router and turn off the Huawei's Wi-Fi, so that all connectivity including Wi-Fi is handled by the cable router.

For example, the third party firmware Gargoyle supports monthly usage based throttling and cut-off limits. This could let's say throttle to 1Mbps at 50GB to ration the remaining 10GB for basic web browsing plus low bitrate streaming and disconnect completely at 60GB. This firmware runs on most routers capable of running OpenWRT, so you would need to find a router capable of running the OpenWRT firmware.

2 - Get a 4G router that has a data cut-off capability. This is more expensive than the above, but does away with needing two routers and the associated wires. Unfortunately these are quite difficult to locate as most don't mention this capability in the specs. One router that has a data limit capability is the TP-Link Archer MR200. This is capable of cutting off the connection after the specified data has been used:

0zdSbu6.png

3 - If your contract is up, I suggest changing to a different network or even a prepay plan. If you have good Meteor coverage, they do a 65GB plan (for 6 months) for €30 / month, which is a 6 month contract. They automatically disconnect once the data limit has reached, bringing up a landing page asking whether to buy an extension (€15/15GB) or to go back online with out-of-bundle rates (2c/MB, don't touch this option!). Rural WiFi is a little more at €48/month, but provides 100GB/month. They use Three's network and there's no mention of excess usage charges on their site, although I recommend checking with them first.

For the prepay options, there's Meteor 50GB for €30 (lasts up to 180 days), iD Mobile 60GB for €30 (uses Three's network, bundle expires and auto-renews on a 30 day cycle) and Three's prepay phone SIM is €20 for "all you can eat" that reportedly works as a data SIM, but can be slow with high contention areas as the proper data SIMs get priority.

If you go with the alternative router method, I would suggest setting it up on the last night of your current billing cycle. This way it starts metering from the new billing cycle. I also recommend setting the cut-off limit well-below the real limit to see how they compare once the limit has reached, then increase the limit such that your router cuts off with roughly 1GB to spare. The ISP will generally read a little higher as it will count overhead such as retransmitted data that never reached your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Many thanks editorsean...I have a couple of Linksys routers lying around doing nothing..they all have dd-wrt installed on them...and should have the capability to do what I want.

Again, muchly thanks!

Advertisement