Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading MB + CPU , Windows 10 + UEFI questions?

Options
  • 05-12-2016 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Hi

A Desktop PC is five year old, it is BIOS MB with two drives
    Win 10 on one and Linux on the other.

Want to upgrade some HW in it, keeping the peripherals, case, PSU, all the drives and just changing the
    CPU and MB is the current plan.

I have two questions

Question one

According to stuff I have read you can change every component of your PC without a reinstall or re-activation of windows 10 with latest update of Windows 10 Anniversary Update, just by linking your Microsoft account with the digital license as per link . Has anyone done this?
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
    i.e. change motherboard no problem.

Question 2
    So the SSD with win10 on it will be from a legacy BIOS MB
    Will a UEFI MB boot that no problem or what actually happens?

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

1) I would be suspicious that replacing MB will work
    2) most likely you will need to create/fix your bcd store, see here for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Question 2
    So the SSD with win10 on it will be from a legacy BIOS MB
    Will a UEFI MB boot that no problem or what actually happens?

You would need to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy boot (CSM?) in the UEFI firmware.
    After that you should be able to boot with emulated BIOS mode.

Advertisement