Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Velux

Options
  • 04-12-2016 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a leak at my Velux, it's on a shallow pitched concrete tiled roof. The tiles were cut about 3 inches short of the Velux on installation and a leak is coming in somewhere and running down the light well. Anyone have this issue and how to resolve if tiles were cut short?
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

tweeky wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a leak at my Velux, it's on a shallow pitched concrete tiled roof. The tiles were cut about 3 inches short of the Velux on installation and a leak is coming in somewhere and running down the light well. Anyone have this issue and how to resolve if tiles were cut short?
    Thanks.

If it is the tiles that are cut short then these could be replaced easily enough.
    Maybe the pitch of the roof is too low ?
    When was the Velux installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Deagol

May not be relevant but...

I had a leak in my kitchen a couple of years ago during a very heavy shower. Sent for the plumber thinking it was a burst pipe but eventually worked out that it was coming from upstairs.

Tracked it down to the channel between the velux and tiles was blocked with moss / tile 'gravel' and the water was spilling back under the tiles. etc. Maybe worth checking this OP?

Makes sense to me. Worth a look to see if there's anything blocking the free run of the rain water.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Thespoofer wrote: »
    If it is the tiles that are cut short then these could be replaced easily enough.
    Maybe the pitch of the roof is too low ?
    When was the Velux installed ?

The Velux was installed 5 years ago, the pitch is between 35-40 degrees approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Deagol wrote: »
    May not be relevant but...

I had a leak in my kitchen a couple of years ago during a very heavy shower. Sent for the plumber thinking it was a burst pipe but eventually worked out that it was coming from upstairs.

Tracked it down to the channel between the velux and tiles was blocked with moss / tile 'gravel' and the water was spilling back under the tiles. etc. Maybe worth checking this OP?

Thanks, good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We now have a similar problem with a Velux on a similar sounding roof.

Is it best to deal with Velux or a roofer?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    We now have a similar problem with a Velux on a similar sounding roof.

Is it best to deal with Velux or a roofer?

Thanks.

D.

If it's just to clean maybe you could try pop your head out the velux and see if you can clean from the inside ( if this is the problem).

Thanks for that.

Yes, I’ll take a look tomorrow.

It’s one of three in our extension. The other two have been perfect, including one which is electric.

Looked at from above the tiles look the same as on the other windows. No moss of any quantity either.

We’ll see.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How did you get on with this in the end? I have a very slow drip coming in the bottom corner of a velux in my rear extension on the rainiest of days, is it going to be an expensive fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The above post didn't identify the problem, tiles are suppose to be cut back (2-6"). It was some thing else.

In your case, it might be entering at the bottom of the skylight, but it could also be coming in at the top and only making it's way out as this is the low point. Fundamentally a leak mean either the water proofing or a seal has failed. You might need to get up there and inspect to determine where that is happening. Hopefull you can spot visually, but sometimes you need a hose to watering can to assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭GIMP

Two of mine failed back in August, seals etc had gone, one was particularly bad. I got them fixed for just shy of 600e. The guy did an excellent job, took out the windows from frame and resealed them.

We had three roofers look at the job. We got a kind of "That'll all have to come down." reaction from all three and quotes to match.

I then contacted Velux. They sent a guy who spottted in a couple of minutes that something hadn't been fitted correctly. He was gone withing half an hour. Cost us a little over €100 for the call out. Great service.

I my experience of dealing with trades, roofing is the most variable, in terms of quality and what to believe. Two years ago, our garage flat roof leaked. Three roofers said it would have to be replaced. As it happened at the time, we were having the house assessed by an insurance company engineer for a new life assurance policy. He was a nice guy, so I asked him to look at the garage roof. He said it looked perfect, and that I should try two coats of roof sealer. It cost me €20 and it hasn't leaked since. (I've re-coated it each summer since.)

D.

The Velux guy would have fixed it aswell or you just pay them to come look? Struggling to get a reply from anyone in Limerick tbh.

Strangely enough there were zero drips for all of Storm Agnes.

I put an ad on Tradesmen.ie. Three guys happy to assess the job. But, none convinced me. So, I went to Velux.

D.

Advertisement