Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any decent small smartphones available?

Options
  • 04-12-2016 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭

Hello, looking to get the other half a phone etc etc

She has a Samsung Galaxy S III mini
    It has been a sturdy little phone, with a good camera.
    And it fits into her pocket and into handbags etc

Is there anything similar available to buy sim free and unlocked?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Hello, looking to get the other half a phone etc etc

She has a Samsung Galaxy S III mini
    It has been a sturdy little phone, with a good camera.
    And it fits into her pocket and into handbags etc

Is there anything similar available to buy sim free and unlocked?
    Thanks

Motorola working well in this this house. I would replace my iiPhone5 with a motorola g when the time comes. I don't use the iphone for anything that that cannot be done on the Motorola. The screen is nice for photos too. We got them in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Check out the Xperia X Compact, impressive camera and decent specs
    tina1040 wrote: »
    Motorola working well in this this house. I would replace my iiPhone5 with a motorola g when the time comes. I don't use the iphone for anything that that cannot be done on the Motorola. The screen is nice for photos too. We got them in argos

Decent phone but hardly small though

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

projectgtr wrote: »
    Check out the Xperia X Compact, impressive camera and decent specs

Decent phone but hardly small though

I'm asuming by small the the poster means low price with good value. There's not much under €170/180 (argos price) that is worth using. I bought an €80 phone for my daughter to call me after school. It doesn't last til after school and she she didn't even take it out ofvher bag. Now I didn't check if something running in background but I'm thinking it was false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

You could try to find a Nexus 5X online. They're a very nice little phone running the very latest stock Android. Built for Google by LG.

They've dropped pretty cheap now if you shop around.

(My idea of a small phone is quite big though. I can't imagine using a phone smaller than that anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

tina1040 wrote: »
    I'm asuming by small the the poster means low price with good value. There's not much under €170/180 (argos price) that is worth using. I bought an €80 phone for my daughter to call me after school. It doesn't last til after school and she she didn't even take it out ofvher bag. Now I didn't check if something running in background but I'm thinking it was false economy.

I think by small the op meant small. If you read the post their previous phone was a s3 mini, so I'm guessing that the op is looking for a small phone not necessarily a cheap one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Moto E 2015 is 4.5 inch. Cheap to buy online at the likes of Amazon and Tesco.

Original Moto E was 4.3 inch.

I Have an old Acer Z130 from 2013. Has a 3.5 inch screen. Screens this size are way too small.

4.3 to 4.7 inch is the sweetspot for those with small hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Thanks for the replies
    She doesn't want anything too big

I've a Nexus 4 and she considers it large

I'll check out the suggestions
    Cheers

or any more suggestions?

the camera on that Motorola Moto E doesn't seem to be great

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

bought a bush in argos last year.. fine phone for 100. bit big though 5" good battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

iPhone SE is easily the best small smartphone on the market. Then maybe one of the Xperia compact handsets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I feel your pain OP. I hope my Sony z3 compact (small, powerful, good battery)runs forever as even they have struggled to come up with a worthy successor. The Xperia x compact does look good on paper, not yet seen it in the flesh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

You might need to go into the Chinese grey market as I see no new good small smartphones in the main phone shops here.

You might need to go into the Chinese grey market as I see no new good small smartphones in the main phone shops here.

please direct me to an appropriate phone then. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Post 11.
    iPhone SE.

dodzy wrote: »
    Post 11.
    iPhone SE.

too expensive I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The xperia z3 compact is a great phone, it's been out a few years so could be worth getting second hand or refurbished for cheap.
    Camera isn't great though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Samsung galaxy A3
    Picked it out for the better half recently after plenty of research. Good phone good value. She has small hands so most smartphones were out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Oneplus x

I went with the Samsung Galaxy A3 2016

Advertisement