Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rich and Powerful

Options
  • 04-12-2016 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Who are they? How much do they have? How much do they earn per annum? What do they do with their money? How much tax do they pay?

I'm not talking about the richest guy in the village earning a few hundred thousand a year, I'm talking about the top 100 to 200 wealthiest in the country.
    I'd like to know more about people who earn, say, over 20 million a year and how many folks earn that amount or more? is it 1000 or just 25 folks, I don't know.

I reckon I could name about 6/7 people who are famous for being rich i.e larry goodman as opposed to Bono who's famous for music. I'd like to know if rich people live in my town or my county and what are there up to. Why shouldn't I? they've probably got a lot more power and influence than my Local TD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You called?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Who are they? How much do they have? How much do they earn per annum? What do they do with their money? How much tax do they pay?

Questions that keep the occupants of the houses in the valleys of the squinting windows awake at night.

Get a life and live it instead of envying others theirs.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Questions that keep the...

... the various 'royal' families and the Kardashians of the world leading a life of luxury.

This disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful ... is ... the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments.

Adam Smith.

Indeed, but that doesn't answer the unasked question, just deepens the bile reservoir for the inevitable....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

Questions that keep the occupants of the houses in the valleys of the squinting windows awake at night.

If you're asking me to change you should know that I'm quiet happy with the way I am.
    I think these are important issues, have you any argument to say otherwise? or do you think guessing why I'm asking is somehow important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Super rich money is dead money not in the economy. So much money in accounts. Prob on the Trillions scale. but hey trickle down economics. And have fancey tax evasion.

If you think you are going to get realistic answers to those questions from anyone they are aimed at, I'm afraid you are delusional. If you didn't get that from my previous post I've said it outright there for you.

If you think you are going to get realistic answers to those questions from anyone they are aimed at, I'm afraid you are delusional. If you didn't get that from my previous post I've said it outright there for you.
    My posts are aimed at anyone and everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

Bull***, you think people with lots of money did it by working for it?? I can tell ya they didn't - First year Analyst (entry level) at a Wall street firm last year took home a bonus of $70000 (BONUS!!) .. why? they don't do anything - they don't build or produce anything - they tell rich people how to gamble their money and if they're wrong it doesn't matter they get bailed out by the US toxic government,  they did such a great job of fu**ing up the world in 2008 they deserve the money?? they are the problem in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

As a wise man once said "Mo money mo problems"

• Advertisement

Tsipras wrote: »
    Bull***, you think people with lots of money did it by working for it??

Really, where did I say that?
    I can tell ya they didn't
    speaking for everyone with money here are we?

Listen to yourself for a minute will ya

Bull***, you think people with lots of money did it by working for it?? I can tell ya they didn't - First year Analyst (entry level) at a Wall street firm last year took home a bonus of $70000 (BONUS!!) .. why? they don't do anything - they don't build or produce anything - they tell rich people how to gamble their money and if they're wrong it doesn't matter they get bailed out by the US toxic government, they did such a great job of fu**ing up the world in 2008 they deserve the money?? they are the problem in the world
    Maybe!
    But who are they? why are they (the personalities) never discussed? On radio online, newspaper, or Tv.no discussion! no information! surely when an individual gets a vast amount of wealth their information should be but out there.

CaptainR wrote: »
    As a wise man once said "Mo money mo problems"
    Maybe!
    I tend to agree. But if they don't want their info available to the general public the could just give it away. It should be one of the cons of being rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

The rich will all go the same way as everything else. Into the beyond where money counts for jack $hit. Tutankhamun had money and power for a bit. Where's all his stuff and power now? In some museum in a country what didn't even exist when he was able to spend it. It may aswell be up his arse.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Maybe!
    But who are they? why are they (the personalities) never discussed? On radio online, newspaper, or Tv.no discussion! no information! surely when an individual gets a vast amount of wealth their information should be but out there.

Why?

buried wrote: »
    The rich will all go the same way as everything else. Into the beyond where money counts for jack $hit.

Please tell me this is a wind up and I'm just too tired to get it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The rich will all go the same way as everything else. Into the beyond where money counts for jack $hit. Tutankhamun had money and power for a bit. Where's all his stuff and power now? In some museum in a country what didn't even exist when he was able to spend it. It may aswell be up his arse.

What on earth are you talking about? Being rich means you have money. Spending money can raise your standard of life significantly as well as that of your immediate family and anyone else you damn well please. How does dying factor into this? Nobody is saying that money is the key to happiness but it enables practically everything in this world and you can achieve nearly anything you want if you have it. Anyone who denies this is living in a dream land.

Why?

I'm sure there are many more reasons but just a few things of the top of my head.
    Less suspicion of politicians
    Less scope to use their money to influence political decissions
    Give people a clearer idea of how much money is actually out there
    I'm sure I could come up with hundreds of reasons "why"

Why?
    anyone any reasons why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

What on earth are you talking about? Being rich means you have money. Spending money can raise your standard of life significantly as well as that of your immediate family and anyone else you damn well please. How does dying factor into this? Nobody is saying that money is the key to happiness but it enables practically everything in this world and you can achieve nearly anything you want if you have it. Anyone who denies this is living in a dream land.

You're going to die. What good is money when that universal eventuality happens? What bank balance will help you for that universal eventuality? Money is a sham. Nature laughs in the face of it. Money is just a racket. It won't be there for you when nature comes calling. So why put it on a pedestal?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

The untouchables

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Money is just a racket. It won't be there for you when nature comes calling. So why put it on a pedestal?

Because its there when you are alive?

Timistry wrote: »
    The untouchables
    If any politician said they would try get all to information on the top .1% online for the greater good of all. I'd vote for him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I just finished reading this article in the New York Times. It's long, but it goes into details about offshore accounts and how the very wealthy hide their assets. I work in wealth management and am familiar with trusts and the like, but this is a whole different level. Again, long read and it's framed around the context of a divorce, but it's fascinating:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/magazine/how-to-hide-400-million.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I just finished reading this article in the New York Times. It's long, but it goes into details about offshore accounts and how the very wealthy hide their assets. I work in wealth management and am familiar with trusts and the like, but this is a whole different level. Again, long read and it's framed around the context of a divorce, but it's fascinating:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/magazine/how-to-hide-400-million.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Much more of this kind of reporting, is needed every night the news should carry a rich people segment just like it does with sport. What is the point in reporting about politics and not money how is anyone supposed to know what is going on, with only half the story

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The rich don't pay tax.

If the top 82 riches people had paid the PRSI/USC increase that people on minimum wage here pay, on their increase in income since the recession started then extreme global poverty could have been eliminated.

Given about 10 million people die each year from the effects of extreme poverty. That works out a one preventable death per hour per billionaire, and again that's only on the increase in income during the a bad recession

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Much more of this kind of reporting, is needed every night the news should carry a rich people segment just like it does with sport. What is the point in reporting about politics and not money how is anyone supposed to know what is going on, with only half the story

Rich people own the news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Bull***, you think people with lots of money did it by working for it?? I can tell ya they didn't - First year Analyst (entry level) at a Wall street firm last year took home a bonus of $70000 (BONUS!!) .. why? they don't do anything - they don't build or produce anything - they tell rich people how to gamble their money and if they're wrong it doesn't matter they get bailed out by the US toxic government,  they did such a great job of fu**ing up the world in 2008 they deserve the money?? they are the problem in the world
    Do you genuinely think no very rich person has got where they are without hard work? The example you gave of one individual/one type of profession hardly evidences this.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭josha1

You're going to die. What good is money when that universal eventuality happens? What bank balance will help you for that universal eventuality? Money is a sham. Nature laughs in the face of it. Money is just a racket. It won't be there for you when nature comes calling. So why put it on a pedestal?
    Well it will help your kids and grandkids for generations?
    It also seems a bit odd saying that money won't help you when you're dead. It's not like someone telling you they love you is going to start your heart beating again, but I think we can all agree that love is something to aspire for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement