Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake friend requests facebook

Options
  • 03-12-2016 1:44am

Hi.
    I'm getting inundated with friend requests from fake profiles. I decline them, block them and report them to Facebook who get back to me to say the profile has been deleted because it was fake.

What's the deal with these fake profiles? They usually have just a profile picture and cover photo and that's it. Some may say the person is from the same area as you. I get two a day now. Really annoying.

Edit: Sorry meant fake in the title not game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't get any fake requests but then my privacy is set to highest.

Set you profile privacy to maximum, this means only friends of friends can approach you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I quit Facebook a few years ago. It is full of either fakes or else people who can turn very nasty. I met a few people I got to know via Facebook and it was the biggest mistake ever. These people would turn on one of a sudden for no reason despite one being good to them. My advice with Facebook: if you are to have it, only add people you know and do not add anyone you don't regardless of whether the account is fake or not.

The worst thing about it is people who otherwise would not get connected will be connected. This can be a good thing too of course but if 2 friends on it are connected and one friend accepts contacts of the other friend and they turn out to be nasty people, you have these in one's online life. Blocking them works on facebook but they can still send you abusive emails or texts if they know your number.

Main advice is (unless it is a business profile) never to add other contact details on a facebook page or share them with 'friends' on it unless they are people you already know and trust. There are sadly a lot of people on it who rely on it 100% for getting to know people and these people then tend to get nasty and can upset one. That's not saying they are bad people: they are just socially awkward and get frustrated and lash out at one. This happened to me a few times with people I met via facebook and that turned me off facebook. These people need help but social media is only extending their social problems and exacerbating their depression not solving it.

Advertisement