Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new gaming pc for teenage son

Options
  • 02-12-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Im about to build this for the son for christmas..I have already bought the graphics card,memory and motherboard and am about to pull the trigger on the rest...just posting this to see if there are any glaring holes in the build!
    PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WjWytJ
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WjWytJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£189.75 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-D Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£42.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£66.93 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card (£282.49 @ More Computers)
    Case: Zalman Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.90 @ Kustom PCs)
    Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (£12.64 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £703.17
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-02 21:53 GMT+0000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks sound to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your son is a lucky young man. All the latest games at 1440p ultra settings.

Back when I was a young zygote, 640x480 medium settings was reserved for the elite.

91sn32Q.jpg?fb

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Your son is a lucky young man. All the latest games at 1440p ultra settings.

Back when I was a young zygote, 640x480 medium settings was reserved for the elite.

91sn32Q.jpg?fb

Or back when I was young (i,e not long seen as I'm 19 :p) you went from having a Gameboy with no backlight, to one that you could now know the black from the white pixels :D

But on topic, that build is very solid. I can only think of one thing;
    Does your house have a 5GHz Wifi connection? If so, I'd recommend upping the Wifi adapter to one that can support 802.11ac wifi, so your son can use the 5GHz and the rest of the house use the 2.4GHz. This will minimise lag and ping, and realisitcally, you'll never need to upgrade the connectivity of the PC.
    Just a thought, but that's a sick rig anyways so...Up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Or back when I was young (i,e not long seen as I'm 19 :p) you went from having a Gameboy with no backlight, to one that you could now know the black from the white pixels :D

But on topic, that build is very solid. I can only think of one thing;
    Does your house have a 5GHz Wifi connection? If so, I'd recommend upping the Wifi adapter to one that can support 802.11ac wifi, so your son can use the 5GHz and the rest of the house use the 2.4GHz. This will minimise lag and ping, and realisitcally, you'll never need to upgrade the connectivity of the PC.
    Just a thought, but that's a sick rig anyways so...Up to you!

Good idea Eoinmc97 never thought of that..cheers:-)
    ps when i was his age i got my first computer which i tell ya was a billion light years away from that build haha! it was a ti-994a in 1979!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I researched, worked for and then built my first PC at the ripe age of 14 and still had my play time restricted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I researched, worked for and then built my first PC at the ripe age of 14 and still had my play time restricted

I never even knew how to work a computer when I was that age. I was never on one to find out how. My first computer was a Dell laptop (Dell inspiron 640m) when I was 21(I think) I still have it (runs quite hot and slow now though). I upgraded the CPU to the best available mid cycle, upgraded the RAM and also had to get a new keyboard and not to forget two power cords with brick. And also a larger hard drive. Never bothered to put a SSD in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My first proper gaming computer was a Dell 166mhz. Was the biz for Doom. My love for building PC's came from a friend's dad who worked in IT, he arrived back at the house one day in 1997 with about 100 PC's, which he said to us 'lads, do what ye want with them, they're only going in the skip anyway' (I'd say we broke about 95 of them)

Advertisement