Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal?

Options
  • 02-12-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

I had an operation on friday last, I noticed they asked a lot of questions about my teeth - any cracked, loose, sore teeth.

Anyway - since the op my mouth has been in bits, sore teeth, very sensitive to hot/cold.

I'll go to the dentist during the week but I was just wondering if it is a side effect of the anasthetic or otherwise? As it ties in with the questions asked pre-op.

My op was kidney related not teeth :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Treetop23

Those questions are asked due to intubation and extubation.

For instance if you have any crowns, caps, loose teeth it is important for anaesthetist and recovery nurses to be aware. Extubation can be done panickedly by sudden woken patients who pull suddenly and may strike teeth and gums. Patients rarely remember being extubated.

No harm to go to dentist if you are still in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cos they were in the pub before they did the intubation maybe

inadequate mouth opening may = damaged teeth

Advertisement