Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise tickets on the DART

Options
  • 02-12-2016 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Arriving in Connolly today on the Enterprise they announced that Enterprise tickets are valid for DART travel as far as Tara St. and Pearse. Is this new? I've never heard that mentioned before in may years of using that route.

Now if only they did the same for Luas transfer to Heuston...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Always been that way

Also valid Belfast City Centre to Central on the Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Hmm, learn something new every day...
    I've been getting that service on and off for 7 years and never heard a mention of it before!

The free transfer to Belfast city centre is included in tickets from all destinations to Central.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Has always been that way for any Intercity train arriving at Connolly as Tara Street and Pearse are all considered "city centre".

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

They should add a Luas transfer to heuston I agree

Yes same with Newry your Enterprise ticket includes the feeder bus from station to town centre, bus is on your right as u exit the station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    They should add a Luas transfer to heuston I agree

Yes same with Newry your Enterprise ticket includes the feeder bus from station to town centre, bus is on your right as u exit the station

Perhaps but people can get Luas or 90 Bus for 1.50 by selecting for example Cork to Dublin City Center when booking tickets.

The costs to NI are likely zero once currency is factored in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Perhaps but people can get Luas or 90 Bus for 1.50 by selecting for example Cork to Dublin City Center when booking tickets.

Interestingly I've noticed that a through ticket from Tullamore to Belfast is around €20 more expensive than buying the individual legs - that's an expensive luas transfer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you cant the add on if booking the ticket from Belfast, and you cant pay for the bus 90 with sterling, and if you go to the bank and get out Euro notes, you'll not get change but a stupid ticket that you (who lives in Belfast) has to go in person to O Connell street in Dublin during a working day to collect.

So essentially on arriving in Dublin rather than get the link bus sitting there, you need to go to the bank, get out money, go buy a pack of crisps to get Euro change, and then go and get the link bus, and you still might end up with a stupid refund ticket if you bought a pack of crisps that didnt give you the right amount of change back for the bus.

Its a complete sham to be honest.

A ticket issued by Irish Rail should by default include the Bus/Luas transfer if the journey requires it

Translink tickets do not

you cant the add on if booking the ticket from Belfast, and you cant pay for the bus 90 with sterling, and if you go to the bank and get out Euro notes, you'll not get change but a stupid ticket that you (who lives in Belfast) has to go in person to O Connell street in Dublin during a working day to collect.

So essentially on arriving in Dublin rather than get the link bus sitting there, you need to go to the bank, get out money, go buy a pack of crisps to get Euro change, and then go and get the link bus, and you still might end up with a stupid refund ticket if you bought a pack of crisps that didnt give you the right amount of change back for the bus.

I was refering to the more general point. Thats Translink problem for Belfast passengers not a lot IE can do when they dont run DB or Luas....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

A ticket issued by Irish Rail should by default include the Bus/Luas transfer if the journey requires it

Translink tickets do not
    Why should it be default?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can avoid the hassle by planning a bit better. Get your euros before coming down or on the train especially if you know in advance as to what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

And if you travel from Belfast to any other city in the eurozone by public transport, what happens?
    You can buy a leapcard and pay for it by plastic card in Connolly, solving the cash withdrawal issue, although I'd imagine you'ld need some cash for your visit outside the brexit zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Treadhead wrote: »
    Hmm, learn something new every day...
    I've been getting that service on and off for 7 years and never heard a mention of it before!

The free transfer to Belfast city centre is included in tickets from all destinations to Central.

I've been travelling that route for more than four decades and I've never heard of that before, but you hardly expect CIE to let you know something useful. Seats are not for feet, mind the gap over and over again but anything helpful. :rolleyes:

The FREE transfer from Belfast Central to the City Centre (and to York Road in days gone by) is long, long established. CIE could never get it together to provide a FREE, or indeed, a proper link between Connolly, the City Centre and Heuston, Complete Ineptitude Expected.

A soloution to this would be to sell Leap Visitor cards in Busaras and heuston at vending machines or shops

It's a disgrace they don't do this

A soloution to this would be to sell Leap Visitor cards in Busaras and heuston at vending machines or shops

It's a disgrace they don't do this

Opens it to abuse.

What??

1. No it doesn't
    2. They can already be bought at tourist centers in Dublin City Centre
    3. How the hell would you "abuse" a Leap Visitor card?

If you mean Irish people using them...we already can, and I used to in the past as my weird schedule meant that, very unusually for a native to a city, a 72 hour unlimited travel at the time suited me as at €19.50 if I had three days of intense traveling to do it suited me to get the Leap Visitor rather than put €30 on the card which is what I'd have to do to hit the daily €10 all services cap, but aside from my bizarre situation there which did not last long, a visitor card set to 3 days would not suit most Irish people, and having one loaded for a full week or 24 hours (the other two possible settings) works out as EXACTLY the same prices as the normal Leap card cap for that period.

The Dublin Bus machines at Dublin Airport, USELESSLY, don't' have them either they instead have stupid one way tickets (i mean ffsake that's appallingly bad ticketing options to offer visitors) or the tour bus tickets.

The Leap Visitor cards should be available in Dublin Connoly, Dublin Heuston, Tara, Pearse, Cork, Galway, Rosslare Europort, all airports and Dublin Bus head office. Those are the common sense places to have them. But of course we don't do things that way in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

What??

1. No it doesn't
    2. They can already be bought at tourist centers in Dublin City Centre
    3. How the hell would you "abuse" a Leap Visitor card?

If you mean Irish people using them...we already can, and I used to in the past as my weird schedule meant that, very unusually for a native to a city, a 72 hour unlimited travel at the time suited me as at €19.50 if I had three days of intense traveling to do it suited me to get the Leap Visitor rather than put €30 on the card which is what I'd have to do to hit the daily €10 all services cap, but aside from my bizarre situation there which did not last long, a visitor card set to 3 days would not suit most Irish people, and having one loaded for a full week or 24 hours (the other two possible settings) works out as EXACTLY the same prices as the normal Leap card cap for that period.

The Dublin Bus machines at Dublin Airport, USELESSLY, don't' have them either they instead have stupid one way tickets (i mean ffsake that's appallingly bad ticketing options to offer visitors) or the tour bus tickets.

The Leap Visitor cards should be available in Dublin Connoly, Dublin Heuston, Tara, Pearse, Cork, Galway, Rosslare Europort, all airports and Dublin Bus head office. Those are the common sense places to have them. But of course we don't do things that way in Ireland.

Should probably add Dún Laoghaire (whether the ferry terminal or the DART station) and Dublin Port to that list as well, seeing as they are slap bang in the middle of the Dublin leap zone, as well as being an entry point for tourists. They make more sense than Rosslare to me anyway.

Hasn't been a ferry in over 2 years in Dun Laoghaire...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Hasn't been a ferry in over 2 years in Dun Laoghaire...

Not quite, since Stena only withdrew in 2015 and it's still 2016, but I take your point. However even with cruises still docking there if people come ashore there's more merit to selling them there than in Rosslare, seeing as the vast majority of people coming through Rosslare would also be hitting one of the Dublin stations, or Busaras before actually getting to use a leap visitor card if bought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

cython wrote: »
    Not quite, since Stena only withdrew in 2015 and it's still 2016, but I take your point.

If you are going to nit-pick at least be correct. The last HSS sailing was at the end of the 2014 peak season in September. The Christmas extras that had previously run were cancelled for 2014 and Stena officially announced they were pulling out permanently early 2015. It is over 2 years since a ferry has operated out of Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement