Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas:your gobsh|te friend / work colleague / relative calls on their own to your home

Options
  • 02-12-2016 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

They arrive out of the blue. With a bottle of wine, or equivalent of you don't partake. What do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ask for advice in after hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Do your best Belly Savales impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Lucky greets the visitors, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Korvanica wrote: »
    ask for advice in after hours

And in the tradition of AH, may I just give the following advice:

Burn down the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

maudgonner wrote: »
    And in the tradition of AH, may I just give the following advice:

Burn down the house.

Or kick them in the face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

me_irl wrote: »
    Or kick them in the face?

Roundhouse kick them in the burning face?

Guess I would question why I have a "friend" that I consider to be a "gobsh|te" in the first place - and then re-evaluate my friend selection criteria.

My house is a bit like what I remember of watching that soap opera "neighbours" when I was around 12. You remember in it the way everyone just kinda walked into each others houses? No one ever seemed to knock or ring or call or anything. There would just be a scene going on in the kitchen of a house - the back door of the house would swing open - and some friend or neighbour would walk in and just start making a sandwich out of the fridge while chatting away as if he had been there all day.

Same in my place. Group of friends who just show up unannounced, sometimes carrying alcohol and sometimes not. And I quite like it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I enjoy it. 'Tis the season to be jolly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

The mature response is to not answer the door and hide behind the sofa until after they've left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

There's no right or wrong answer.
    Imagine it like this: if you have ever been placed in boards prison, how do you react if the MOD who put you there called around to you in person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

me_irl wrote: »
    Do your best Belly Savales impression.

In my experience Cobumbo impression works better for clearing people. But one doesn't always have a cigar to hand for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Blast them with P*ss ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Head to the bathroom for a a few minutes and come back out like a Late Late Toy Show presenter.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

buried wrote: »
    Head to the bathroom for a a few minutes and come back out like a Late Late Toy Show presenter.
    Don't forget to offer the visitor some also like Flash Gordon in Ted movies. In fact maybe visit your bathroom together.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Ask them if they would like to use the bathroom.
    https://youtu.be/8aqa5AnvSZk

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget to offer the visitor some also like Flash Gordon in Ted movies. In fact maybe visit your bathroom together.

Make sure that they don't end up punching a hole in a wall of your home though.

https://youtu.be/FIJShhXpa9E

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If you call to my house and you are bringing drink, I don't care if you are the devil himself, you are coming in.

Advertisement