Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign bike licence to Irish?

Options
  • 02-12-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have been living here in Vancouver for the past 3.5 years. I am thinking of moving back in the next year or so maybe, and I want to bring my BMW R nine T with me.

I have a full British Columbia licence (class 6) and a full car licence also, both Irish and BC (although I had to submit my irish licence to get a BC one.

If I were to move back, what is the criteria for exchanging it for an irish bike licence, my bike is 1200cc and its been a few years since I rode back in Ireland.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So you had an Irish bike licence and surrendered it for a BC one ?? If so you should be able to get an Irish one back, but it must be inside 10 years iirc.

However, if you never had an Irish bike licence you will have no access to exchange your BC one: you'll have to go through the test process here. If you're over 24 it's not a big deal as you can avail of direct access.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We have no mutual recognition of BC licences - surprised they allowed you exchange your Irish licence so, but that's BC's problem...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Could you switch to one of the Canadian provinces recognised here? then you should be able to swap both car and bike. Otherwise you either start again, or fall back on what Irish full licence entitlements you had within the last 10 years.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

We have no mutual recognition of BC licences - surprised they allowed you exchange your Irish licence so, but that's BC's problem...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Could you switch to one of the Canadian provinces recognised here? then you should be able to swap both car and bike. Otherwise you either start again, or fall back on what Irish full licence entitlements you had within the last 10 years.

Sorry, I should have stated. I never had a full Irish bike licence. I did have a full car licence which only this year, BC would do a straight swap over.

From that list though, Ontario is listed, and I look to be moving there next year, and they swap over a BC licence there. So looks like there is a way.

As the other poster mentioned, I am over 24 so the I can do the direct access mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Also check out whether it's worth bringing over the bike vs selling it and buying one here/UK, given the hassle you will have changing the light cluster, Euro spec vs US spec, not to mention the crating up of the bike and possibility of damage enroute etc.

You can pick up a clean r-ninety for 9-10k sterling.

colm_c wrote: »
    Also check out whether it's worth bringing over the bike vs selling it and buying one here/UK, given the hassle you will have changing the light cluster, Euro spec vs US spec, not to mention the crating up of the bike and possibility of damage enroute etc.

You can pick up a clean r-ninety for 9-10k sterling.

What sort of changes would have to be made? The cluster is already in KMs, Mph is for the states.

A friend transported his triumph and it didt cost that much, I also believe there are safe options for crating. Will see anyway, its not happening next week!

But again, thanks for the help lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Apply to the NDLS for a lost/ stolen replacement for the B&W licence- it sounds like a fudge but it's not; that's what the NDLS will tell you to do. The Garda stamp serves for you to declare you no longer have possession of your previous Irish licence.

The only states that we have an exchange agreement with is Ontario, Manitoba and Labrador/ Newfoundland. Some Canadian provinces will exchange EU licences but it isn't a reciprocal agreement. The important thing here is where you've earned your entitlements. When you give the NDLS a letter of entitlement or a valid licence from Ontario, they must contact with the Ontario licencing authority who will confirm it was exchanged from BC and you'd be boned.

Even in the case of the provinces we exchange with, as far as I know, we only exchange car categories and even if the entitlements were earned in any of those states, they are restricted to an auto transmission only regardless of what transmission they were tested on.

So I'm afraid to be the bearing of bad news but I think you'll be looking at the full A test regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gintonious wrote: »
    What sort of changes would have to be made? The cluster is already in KMs, Mph is for the states.

A friend transported his triumph and it didt cost that much, I also believe there are safe options for crating. Will see anyway, its not happening next week!

But again, thanks for the help lads!

Lights realigned for correct side of the road. possibly turn signals colour or operation.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Apply to the NDLS for a lost/ stolen replacement for the B&W licence- it sounds like a fudge but it's not; that's what the NDLS will tell you to do. The Garda stamp serves for you to declare you no longer have possession of your previous Irish licence.

The only states that we have an exchange agreement with is Ontario, Manitoba and Labrador/ Newfoundland. Some Canadian provinces will exchange EU licences but it isn't a reciprocal agreement. The important thing here is where you've earned your entitlements. When you give the NDLS a letter of entitlement or a valid licence from Ontario, they must contact with the Ontario licencing authority who will confirm it was exchanged from BC and you'd be boned.

Even in the case of the provinces we exchange with, as far as I know, we only exchange car categories and even if the entitlements were earned in any of those states, they are restricted to an auto transmission only regardless of what transmission they were tested on.

So I'm afraid to be the bearing of bad news but I think you'll be looking at the full A test regardless.

What do you mean by the bolded part? Do you mean apply for a replacement licence when I am back in Ireland?

So even if I exchange my BC licence to an Ontario one, and I go back to Ireland, they wont recognize the bike part? As far as I know, for the car at least as long as your original licence would still be in date, they would exchange it back. But I am more interested in the bike obviously!

Ideally I would like to not have to do a test again.

What do you mean by the bolded part? Do you mean apply for a replacement licence when I am back in Ireland?

As far as I know, for the car at least as long as your original licence would still be in date, they would exchange it back. But I am more interested in the bike obviously!

As regards accounting for the Irish licence that you exchanged in BC, it's a one-way-street. The NDLS won't care that you've exchanged it with BC as there is no reciprocal exchange agreement with them (unlike the provinces I've already mentioned). As far as the NDLS are concerned, giving it to BC is the same as throwing in in the bin. The NDLS will just ask you to declare it lost/ stolen and won't make any attempt to contact BC about it. It makes this way faster and easier for you to get your Irish entitlements back again (but not the bike cats).

As long as your last Irish licence expired less than 10 years ago, it would be renewable.
    So even if I exchange my BC licence to an Ontario one, and I go back to Ireland, they wont recognize the bike part?

I'm afraid not. Earning your entitlements in BC makes it impossible for you to bring them back to Ireland. Even if you earned motorcycle cats in Ontario, you can only receive A1 and AM against them and both categories would have the automatic transmission restriction against them.
    Ideally I would like to not have to do a test again.

That's understandable but I'm afraid you will have to face the test regime here when you get home.

As regards accounting for the Irish licence that you exchanged in BC, it's a one-way-street. The NDLS won't care that you've exchanged it with BC as there is no reciprocal exchange agreement with them (unlike the provinces I've already mentioned). As far as the NDLS are concerned, giving it to BC is the same as throwing in in the bin. The NDLS will just ask you to declare it lost/ stolen and won't make any attempt to contact BC about it. It makes this way faster and easier for you to get your Irish entitlements back again (but not the bike cats).

As long as your last Irish licence expired less than 10 years ago, it would be renewable.

I'm afraid not. Earning your entitlements in BC makes it impossible for you to bring them back to Ireland. Even if you earned motorcycle cats in Ontario, you can only receive A1 and AM against them and both categories would have the automatic transmission restriction against them.

That's understandable but I'm afraid you will have to face the test regime here when you get home.

Thanks again.

This will be my 4th road test in my life, I am used to them at this stage.

If it has to be done, then so be it!

Im 31 (today oddly enough), what are the regulations like for the licences now back home? I've tried to read up on it but its a tad confusing!

• Advertisement

There's a good chance you have a valid theory test on file already- if you took the theory test for the car between 2001 and 2006, you can pretty much take you don't need the bike theory test.

You apply to the NDLS for a learner permit in category A, which is a full power, unrestricted bike- (same as anyone over 24 and they'll issue you the smaller motorcycle categories anyway).

You take 16 hours of IBT (initial basic training) at a cost of approximately €500. Taking IBT 'validates' your learner category so you can ride away anything you can get insured on but you will have to wear an L vest.

Apply for the test and pass the test and you're away for slates. Take your A cert of competency back to the NDLS and they'll add your full to your full B. You won't have to wear the 'N' vest as a novice. No 2 year restricted periods or any of that nonsense- drive anything you can get insurance on.

Only problem is that you can't take your test within 6 months of getting your first learner permit.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Only problem is that you can't take your test within 6 months of getting your first learner permit.

...which is daft if think about it.

Is it not supposed to be a measure of your ability to ride, and follow ROTR ?

If you are capable of passing the Test, what on earth does the date of issue of Learner Permit have to do with it ?

If you're able to pass inside the 6 months, I'd give you brownie points, not dock any.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There's a good chance you have a valid theory test on file already- if you took the theory test for the car between 2001 and 2006, you can pretty much take you don't need the bike theory test.

You apply to the NDLS for a learner permit in category A, which is a full power, unrestricted bike- (same as anyone over 24 and they'll issue you the smaller motorcycle categories anyway).

You take 16 hours of IBT (initial basic training) at a cost of approximately €500. Taking IBT 'validates' your learner category so you can ride away anything you can get insured on but you will have to wear an L vest.

Apply for the test and pass the test and you're away for slates. Take your A cert of competency back to the NDLS and they'll add your full to your full B. You won't have to wear the 'N' vest as a novice. No 2 year restricted periods or any of that nonsense- drive anything you can get insurance on.

Cool, adds more experience to my life overall!

Would an insurance company recognize experience from abroad? I know that they do that here anyway (Vancouver that is).

Does this apply if I had a learner permit from before, like cantdecide mentioned? I do have one from between the dates that he mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Might be worth your while seeing if the licence is transferable to NI or mainland UK? Commonwealth and all that jazz. If so, do that, then after a few months transfer it to Irish. Could be an avenue to pursue?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For a UK licence you have to declare that you are resident, with threat of criminal charges if you lie. They take the process very seriously now. And you obviously need a UK address

Does this apply if I had a learner permit from before, like cantdecide mentioned? I do have one from between the dates that he mentioned.

Yes if the learner permit expired within the last 5 years you can renew it. Otherwise you start from scratch, as if you'd never had one.
    A full licence can be renewed if it expired within 10 years.

Very important for people with car+bike entitlement, who aren't currently riding, to make sure that the bike entitlement isn't "accidentally" "forgotten" when renewing. Heard of quite a few cases where bike entitlement wasn't carried forward on renewal when it should have been, if not noticed and let slip for 10 years then you lose your bike licence forever even though it was their "mistake" (or, just maybe, policy to get riders off the road. There's not many things that get my conspiracy theory wheels spinning, but that's one of them.)

Yes if the learner permit expired within the last 5 years you can renew it. Otherwise you start from scratch, as if you'd never had one.
    A full licence can be renewed if it expired within 10 years.

Very important for people with car+bike entitlement, who aren't currently riding, to make sure that the bike entitlement isn't "accidentally" "forgotten" when renewing. Heard of quite a few cases where bike entitlement wasn't carried forward on renewal when it should have been, if not noticed and let slip for 10 years then you lose your bike licence forever even though it was their "mistake" (or, just maybe, policy to get riders off the road. There's not many things that get my conspiracy theory wheels spinning, but that's one of them.)

When I went to renew my provisional ( I originally got it in 2004, and then renewed it just before it went out of date) I am not sure if it was carried over.

I have since gotten my full Irish car licence in the mean time before I emigrated to Canada, would the NDLS have record of this for me to confirm?

Not to bump an old thread for nothing, but Ireland will now recognise a BC licence now for exchange.

Seems like I will still have to sit the test for the A licence, but my Class 6 licence here in BC (for motorbike) is valid for an A1 licence.

Its still a slight pain as I will be shipping a 1200cc motorcycle back. I could always try the charm at the desk in the centre though. If I am lucky, there might be some leeway on the 6 month waiting period for me to sit the test, I sat one here and also did an advanced riding course which I am hopeful will help me along my way back home.

Hopefully, ill see some of you fine folk on the road next year sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Not to bump an old thread for nothing, but Ireland will now recognise a BC licence now for exchange.

Seems like I will still have to sit the test for the A licence, but my Class 6 licence here in BC (for motorbike) is valid for an A1 licence.

Its still a slight pain as I will be shipping a 1200cc motorcycle back. I could always try the charm at the desk in the centre though. If I am lucky, there might be some leeway on the 6 month waiting period for me to sit the test, I sat one here and also did an advanced riding course which I am hopeful will help me along my way back home.

Hopefully, ill see some of you fine folk on the road next year sometime.
    The issue isn't the test, it's the training.

I think you have to do 11 hours of "progression module 5" training (bad news) and then you can drive your 1200cc bike while you wait for the test (good news). You can do this over a weekend but it will cost a few hundred.

See this and PDF chart linked at the end:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

That's Interesting about the BC exchange changes. I'd be almost certain the BC A1 licence would have the '78' restriction (auto transmission only). The upside is that since you will have some kind of motorcycle full licence, you won't have to wait 6 months for the A test after completing IBT.

Lumen wrote: »
    The issue isn't the test, it's the training.

I think you have to do 11 hours of "progression module 5" training (bad news) and then you can drive your 1200cc bike while you wait for the test (good news). You can do this over a weekend but it will cost a few hundred.

See this and PDF chart linked at the end:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

I can live with that to be honest, as long as I get to ride my bike I don't really mind, the training can be mind numbingly boring but I have done it here, so I am capable on a bike and know what I am at.

Looks like ill be on the Irish roads next year on my BMW, which is actually a dream come true for me. I've lived abroad for over 4 years now and I have always wanted to have my bike over there.

It's the little things in life.

Advertisement