Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being ripped off by glazier?

Options
  • 01-12-2016 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

My front door side panel glass smashed. It's 990mm x 670mm. Glazier came out to measure up for new glass, tapped away on his calculator and said it's gonna cost 160 quid.

He stated that it's EU regulations to have toughened glass in these panels now and that he wouldnt be insured otherwise.

I was in a rush to collect the kids so i didn't have time to argue. He insisted that 50 euro deposit was required due to it being toughened glass and once cut or whatever excuse he gave..

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it includes fitting sounds very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

floor level glass must be toughened to stop kids running into it and getting all bloody, ive seen it happen and its not nice.
    toughened glass when cut will be processed after and will be spefic for your window
    i dont know how much it should cost i assume the glass costs 30 - 50 including cutting to size and the labour costs the 90-110 ( 160 is 140+ vat at 13.5%)
    so he had to come out and measure up and will come back to fit the glass so to me it sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

There was nothing stopping you measuring it and phoning around to get various prices for it. It is not that hard to replace a glass pane. I would ask for laminate, as it is better security wise ie you cant smash through laminated glass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Thanks guys. I paid the 160 and had a good job done. It's just a pain this close to xmas. No pun intended. :P

Advertisement