Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prep for grading - diet

Options
  • 01-12-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I have a grading coming up and they tend to be fairly grueling affairs.
    I'm 36 so I dont have the energy or stamina I used to have.

Can anyone tell me what types of food I sould be eating coming up to the grading to make sure I have enough energy to get through the day.

I expect this grading to last 6 to 8 hours. Its in traditional Jiu jitsu so its going to be lots of throws and getting bounced off the mat and jumping back up. It can be fairly demanding.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Can you post up a typical days diet OP? Would be good to have a starting point that all of us here can comment on, a few small changes could be much more helpful than different people throwing tons of comments saying make sure you have x, y, z in your diet without having a clue what you already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well whatever about energy, diet can provide that to some degree but stamina is something you should have been working on.

Since its only the one day I'd be carb loading the evening before.. Then the following morning I'd have a hearty breakfast (including porridge for slow release energy), include lots of calories.. You should also be taking in water.

Bring some banana's, a sandwich and a packet of Jaffa cakes.

This is all high energy foods, but beware you'll get a big sugar crash that evening ~ esp if you're like me and don't take in much sugars anyway.

A days fighting, or in your case a tough grading isn't a time to be worried about being strict on a diet. You'll be needing high energy foods.. But don't eat in bulk (save for maybe your breakfast). Eat and drink small but often on the day.

Enjoy the grading, best of luck with it.. Oh, and you're only a youngster at 36 so stop making excuses :p

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Thanks for the replies. As for my typical diet I try to eat as healthy as I can. I typically have a scone at morning break, a chicken wrap or sandwich for lunch and dinner in the evening is meat and plenty of veg. I eat a good bit of fruit in the evenings but tend to pig out on a half pack of biscuits.
    I have been training consistently and my stamina is OK, I've a pretty good recovery time but I find at gradings when I'm nervous I start off at a sprint and by the end of it I'm wrecked. I know I need to work on relaxing and breathing.
    I've noticed lately though that I'm tiring faster than usual and I'm convinced it's because my diet isn't optimal. I have colitis too so I think there may be an issue with getting the nutrients from my food. I basically want to be sure I'm doing as much as I can to help myself.
    Appreciate the help .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well whatever about energy, diet can provide that to some degree but stamina is something you should have been working on.
    100% agree with this.
    Since its only the one day I'd be carb loading the evening before.. Then the following morning I'd have a hearty breakfast (including porridge for slow release energy), include lots of calories.. You should also be taking in water.

Bring some banana's, a sandwich and a packet of Jaffa cakes.
    And this.

Lots of small slow releases snacks throughout the day. Don't stuff yourself in the morning, but to have a decent breakfast.

As for my typical diet I try to eat as healthy as I can. I typically have a scone at morning break, a chicken wrap or sandwich for lunch and dinner in the evening is meat and plenty of veg. I eat a good bit of fruit in the evenings but tend to pig out on a half pack of biscuits.
    This is probably something to work on after the grading.
    But that's not a remotely healthy diet. I think you probably know that.
    Healthy mean nothing but salads and fruit. But scones and half packets of biscuits are the other end altogether. Chicken wrap could go with either way.

Advertisement