Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Visa

Options
  • 01-12-2016 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I am travelling to Australia in January for a two months and then onto Thailand. Can I get a visa for Thailand in Australia before I go to thailand or should I get it here in ireland first?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

If you're arriving by air into any of the main Thai airports, there is usually a stand with immigration forms, fill it out and then head to the immigration desk.. Simple really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭PatMid78

You did not say how long you will stay in Thailand. But as the other poster said it is a simple procedure if you are arriving at an international airport. Airline staff generally give you an Arrival/Departure Card slip to fill out before landing in Thailand and you bring that to the immigration counter at the airport (Otherwise there are spare forms at desks before the immigration counters).

Assuming you are an Irish passport holder, you will get 30 days visa free (extendable by another 30 days for 1900 baht at any immigration office within the country) stamped in your passport and you will keep the departure card part of the form in your passport. However, arriving at a land border you only get 15 days (although also extendable by 30 days at an immigration office).

In summary, you don't need to arrange a visa beforehand unless you are staying longer than 2 months or don't intend to visit neighbouring countries which will start the visa free process all over again upon re-entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Cheers for the help, do I need proof of further travel, I dont want to book anything as I dont know how much time I need!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

otterj wrote: »
    do I need proof of further travel,

In theory yes but they don't ask for it.
    They will ask your address in Thailand though, so make sure you know the name of your hotel. That said, I just made one up and wasn't challenged but a guy ahead of me said he was staying with a friend and they made him phone him to get his address.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭steve-o

loobylou wrote: »
    In theory yes but they don't ask for it.
    The airline will not usually allow you to board the flight if you don't comply with published immigration requirements. They will require proof of onward travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

Thanks,presume a train ticket out of Thailand will do

Yes, that should be fine. There's a slight risk on the day that the airline check-in staff will only accept evidence of an air ticket, so I'd get to the airport early with a plan B (to buy a ticket to meet their requirement).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

steve-o wrote: »
    Yes, that should be fine. There's a slight risk on the day that the airline check-in staff will only accept evidence of an air ticket, so I'd get to the airport early with a plan B (to buy a ticket to meet their requirement).

Flown in to Thailand numerous and never been once asked for onward travel by any airline (Emirates, Jetstar, Airasia, Thai Airlines and Jet Airways) Thai immigration is one of the easiest you'll ever go through outside of Europe.

Also as per the the immigration rules any kind of onward travel is accepted so even if you do get questioned, a train ticket will suffice.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Flown in to Thailand numerous and never been once asked for onward travel by any airline (Emirates, Jetstar, Airasia, Thai Airlines and Jet Airways) Thai immigration is one of the easiest you'll ever go through outside of Europe.
    Did you ever travel there on a one-way ticket with no visa? The airline will ask for proof in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

steve-o wrote: »
    Did you ever travel there on a one-way ticket with no visa? The airline will ask for proof in those circumstances.

Yep, everytime I've been has been a one way flight bar one time. I was only there three weeks ago and same again, I only booked a flight out a week after arriving once my plans were in place. A lot of backpackers go to Thailand each year with little or no plan in place and it's never an issue.

I get your point as in most other Asian countries I've been asked for an onward flight although not so much in South East Asia

• Advertisement
Advertisement