Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken RAM clips on laptop

Options
  • 30-11-2016 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I opened up a second hand laptop I bought just there and see the clips to hold down one of the ram cards were broken off by someone so the ram is kind of just sticking out.

The laptop still picks it up but I've gotten paranoid and removed it for the time being.
    So I'm wondering is what would be the best way to press the ram down?

As the case closes quite close to where the ram is (photo grabbed from google of the inside here), so I was thinking I could just glue something plastic or foam to the back where the ram currently would is scraping up against. Would there be a recommended (cheap) adhesive or (cheap) foam to use?
    It's a laptop that will hardly ever move so imperfect solutions are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd recommend cardboard folded over to correct thickness to where the cover holds down the RAM.

Much better solution than gluing it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Oh, when I said gluing I meant on the cover (where I can see some scrape marks that are presumably from the RAM pressing against it) as opposed to on the ram itself.

Was actually on the verges of using cardboard when I got concerned about having it so close to hot electronics. Would it be okay beside the memory then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Memory don't heat up that much, definitely not enough to ignite cardboard anyway. If you are concerned, you can test it. There are plenty of programs out there that will stress test RAM to make sure it is stable. This should have a knock on effect of generating max heat. Put that on for an hour or two while keeping a decently close eye one it. Afterwards, take it out and inspect to ensure no scorch marks or smoke :D

Please note. This is probably a terrible idea.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Memory don't heat up that much, definitely not enough to ignite cardboard anyway. If you are concerned, you can test it. There are plenty of programs out there that will stress test RAM to make sure it is stable. This should have a knock on effect of generating max heat. Put that on for an hour or two while keeping a decently close eye one it. Afterwards, take it out and inspect to ensure no scorch marks or smoke :D

Please note. This is probably a terrible idea.

Seeing as half the solutions I see online are "replace the motherboard", it's not that bad! :pac:

I've never broken them myself but they dont exactly seem very difficult to break so I was surprised I couldn't find much in the way of viable solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Usually they are made of metal. They are also in the middle of the laptop, fairly well protected. So it's pretty rare for them to be damaged. It usually involves a clueless person and brute force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is there any way you could use a light gauge 'tie-wrap' to strap the ram down?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Usually they are made of metal. They are also in the middle of the laptop, fairly well protected. So it's pretty rare for them to be damaged. It usually involves a clueless person and brute force.
    Yup, I'm imagining it's someone who just ripped it up. Not sure how stupid you've to be to feel okay opening up a machine but not have the wherewithal to google "how to remove ram" but there y'go.
    The clips are metal but they're held in plastic and thats what's broken off.

Tie wrap could work actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Managed to break one of the RAM clips off an old Dell laptop years ago while installing a 2nd stick, I used some blue tack to hold it in place; worked really well just moulded it around the end of the RAM. IIRC its also non conductive-at such low voltage anyway so you should be fine there.

Another option is a glue gun though they hit well over 100 deg C.

Advertisement