Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of Insurance for stock of sole trader?

Options
  • 30-11-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I am a sole trader.

The goods I sell are stored in my home.

The value will vary from 5k - 15k at any one time.

What kind of insurance can I get to cover them?

Will standard home contents insurance be ok?

If not, how much would you be talking to cover them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I am a sole trader.

The goods I sell are stored in my home.

The value will vary from 5k - 15k at any one time.

What kind of insurance can I get to cover them?

Will standard home contents insurance be ok?

If not, how much would you be talking to cover them?

Your home insurance will not cover your stock or your business equipment. However, you must inform your insurer that the dwelling is now being used in part for business purposes as failure to do so could invalidate the current policy. Make sure you tell them if any customers ever come to your house to do business too

As for covering the stock, it depends on the type of product it is and security where it is stored. You need to talk to an insurance broker who can offer Fire, Theft and Goods In Transit

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Your home insurance will not cover your stock or your business equipment. However, you must inform your insurer that the dwelling is now being used in part for business purposes as failure to do so could invalidate the current policy. Make sure you tell them if any customers ever come to your house to do business too

As for covering the stock, it depends on the type of product it is and security where it is stored. You need to talk to an insurance broker who can offer Fire, Theft and Goods In Transit

Thanks for the advice.

It is a rented accommodation where the goods are currently stored. And I currently don't have any contents insurance.

Customers don't do business in the house. Everything is online.

I'll look into small business fire and theft

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Thanks for the advice.

It is a rented accommodation where the goods are currently stored. And I currently don't have any contents insurance.

Customers don't do business in the house. Everything is online.

I'll look into small business fire and theft

Thanks

If your landlord has the property insured and has declared it to his insurers as being occupied by a tenant for 'domestic purposes only', he may be in breach of his policy. Check your lease and tell your landlord

Advertisement