Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take advantage at Christmas...

Options
  • 30-11-2016 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to 2fm's Breakfast show there and a Goss.ie columnist (Orla McConnon) was on as a guest, chatting about "pulling at Christmas."

It wasn't exactly rocket science, but then I heard the magic words come out of her mouth with regards pulling during the 12 Pubs of Christmas:

"... By pub 12, they'll be there in body, not in mind, so it's up to your own moral compass what you do."

After all the outrage thrown at men last week over the Eurobarometer Poll, with the 'Dear Brothers, please don't rape' ****e (https://www.her.ie/life/dear-younger-brothers-please-dont-rape-women/321772) , I couldn't actually believe this.

So AH, was she right and he's always up for a ride, regardless of state/consent? Or do we need to write condescending letters asking the women in our life not to rape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Only thing I'll be pulling this Christmas is a Christmas cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

After 12 pints in 12 pubs any woman who pulled me in the expectation of a night of unbridled bedroom antics would be very disappointed.
    Burger and a glass of water please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If they're doing the twelve pub lark, stay the fcuk away from them whether they are on pub 1 or pub 12, they are undoubtedly a thundering asshole with the personality of a toilet door to match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Listening to 2fm's Breakfast show there and a Goss.ie columnist (Orla McConnon) was on as a guest, chatting about "pulling at Christmas."

It wasn't exactly rocket science, but then I heard the magic words come out of her mouth with regards pulling during the 12 Pubs of Christmas:

"... By pub 12, they'll be there in body, not in mind, so it's up to your own moral compass what you do."

After all the outrage thrown at men last week over the Eurobarometer Poll, with the 'Dear Brothers, please don't rape' ****e (https://www.her.ie/life/dear-younger-brothers-please-dont-rape-women/321772) , I couldn't actually believe this.

So AH, was she right and he's always up for a ride, regardless of state/consent? Or do we need to write condescending letters asking the women in our life not to rape?

The reality is that rape will always be a mens issue (even though its not).
    Men will never be really seen as a victim and regardless of how drunk they were they will always be seen as the ones to blame.

Imagine the scenario where a woman finds a very very drunk guy in a bar. Starts kissing and groping him. He barely knows whats happening. The girl friend walks over and what do you think her reaction is going to be. The girlfriend will blame the guy for cheating on her and he will not be seen as having been sexually assaulted.

Now reverse that situation where its the woman being groped.

Even though the situations are identical the man is the bad person in both scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pushing a rope up a hill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Only thing I'll be pulling this Christmas is a Christmas cracker

Ah jaysus...have a **** anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

pushing a rope up a hill

Pushing a marshmallow through a keyhole

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If they're doing the twelve pub lark, stay the fcuk away from them whether they are on pub 1 or pub 12, they are undoubtedly a thundering asshole with the personality of a toilet door to match

What if you've 12 pints in 1 pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

GavRedKing wrote: »

What if you've 12 pints in 1 pub?

You won't be able to buy anymore drink in the other pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

I love the 12 pubs of Christmas show and take full advantage of it because now the good mates I have in my good circle no longer want to go to the pubs around Christmas time because of it. Its all smallish little parties in peoples houses with good people, food, drink and theres the laptop over there so put on whatever tunes ya want, so a big thanks to the staggering loud 12 pub elf armies and their vomit stained xmazbantz jumpers. You've finally given me what I always wanted at Christmas

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

12 pubs is done in my local village. There's 2 pubs in the village. They walk up and down the road. Not sure I'd want to pull as it a very man heavy area....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Thumbing in the magicians handkerchief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

pushing a rope up a hill

Pushing a marshmallow up O'Connell St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Edups2.0

fizzypish wrote: »
    12 pubs is done in my local village. There's 2 pubs in the village. They walk up and down the road. Not sure I'd want to pull as it a very man heavy area....

That just seems so utterly pointless.

Edups2.0 wrote: »

Tell that to the publicans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

12 pubs is done in my local village. There's 2 pubs in the village. They walk up and down the road.

That could almost be the setting of an aburdist play about the futility of the human conditon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I don't know. If she wants to bang an annihilated lad at 2.30am and then flip off forever and never speak to him again, more power to her. She seems fit enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

So after all these years all I had to do is pretend that I'm completely blottoed at Christmas to get the ride, why wasnt I told this sooner

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That's like something from Flann O'Brien. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Tell that to the publicans!
    Ciaran_B wrote: »
    That's like something from Flann O'Brien. :)

I'm torn between "Waiting for Heino" and "At Stagger Two Pubs".

Is it too late to enter the Ireland's Own short story competition for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

gramar wrote: »
    Ah jaysus...have a **** anyway.

Personally, I find that masturbation has been getting out of hand lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That's both the funniest and saddest thing I have seen today.

Just imagine watching them as they troop past, determined to manufacture fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

is this some hamlet in Co. Meath???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Its everywhere in Ireland outside of the 10 largest towns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Glenster wrote: »
    I don't know. If she wants to bang an annihilated lad at 2.30am and then flip off forever and never speak to him again, more power to her. She seems fit enough.

My point is what the reaction would be if the gender was flipped:
    MALE COLUMNIST: "After 12 pubs, she's gonna be there in body, but not in spirit, so it's up to your own moral compass what you do."
    Glenster wrote: »
    I don't know. If he wants to ride an annihilated woman at 2:30am, then flip off forever and never speak to her again, more power to him. He seems handsome enough.

I'd argue that the result would be UPROAR about what a rapey chauvanistic pig the guy is, and how dare he perpetuate the rape culture in Ireland. Yet, a woman says it today and nobody seemed bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There's a pub in my locality that is miles from anywhere else and a bunch of madlads and madlasses went out there and did the "12 pubs" by switching from one end of the pub to the other each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I think, from the responses here,myself included, we can see how serious this is taken. For sure if a male journo was on the radio telling men to find the most vulnerable woman on a night and let your moral compass decide whether to take advantage of her drunkenness, he would be out of a job by the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My point is what the reaction would be if the gender was flipped:

I'd argue that the result would be UPROAR about what a rapey chauvanistic pig the guy is, and how dare he perpetuate the rape culture in Ireland. Yet, a woman says it today and nobody seemed bat an eyelid.

Indeed, and what if the next morning he reports her for taking advantage of his drunken state?

Would he be taken seriously? (/rhetorical)

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Naw lad, Tipp. From my travels of the country, a 2 pub village isn't that uncommon. I doubt this place is the only place that does it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Imagine the scenario where a woman finds a very very drunk guy in a bar. Starts kissing and groping him. He barely knows whats happening. The girl friend walks over and what do you think her reaction is going to be. The girlfriend will blame the guy for cheating on her and he will not be seen as having been sexually assaulted.

Now reverse that situation where its the woman being groped.

Even though the situations are identical the man is the bad person in both scenarios.
    I dunno. Do you think nobody (except you) would view the man as the wronged party? And is it a guarantee that his girlfriend, in all cases, would view him as cheating rather than the other girl groping her boyfriend? The latter is what I'd expect.

What was said on the radio by that woman (and the lack of reining it in) was dreadful though.

Advertisement