Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Availability of TG4 HD.

Options
  • 30-11-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭

TG4 HD is available on Virgin Media Ireland only. It gets part of the licence fee as well as commercial income.

Why are na gaeilgóirí not up in arms about the fact that TG4 HD is not available on Saorview?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's on Sky too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's on Sky too.

Ah, yes, an oversight on my part. But my question still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

It's a pity that as part of the approval for the Virgin takeover of TV3 group or even the TV3 group take over of UTV Ireland, that it wasn't stipulated that any of their channels available on pay platforms in HD needed to be the same on Saorview. Though I suppose it wasn't possible in that context. It would have made it cheaper for TG4 to go HD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Didn't TG4 get a government grant for HD too? I think it's a disgrace that it's not on Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

and in HD on eir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

TG4 HD is available on Virgin Media Ireland only. It gets part of the licence fee as well as commercial income.

Why are na gaeilgóirí not up in arms about the fact that TG4 HD is not available on Saorview?

Its a disgrace, I'd imagine TG4 is mostly funded by the license fee, funded by the tax payer.

Yet TG4 HD is not available for Saorview/Saorsat viewers.

Yet TG4 HD is available on the foreign owned profit based TV platforms.

Shame on TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A change in the conditions of being on Saorview would sort it out I reckon.

If Saorview sold space, based on HD only, (with the option of an SD +1 as additional space to the HD), then all users of Saorview would pay for HD bandwidth, whether they used it or not.

If that was done then it could not be challenged as being aimed at one provider, and would result in a much better service for the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I think you could be right

I just find it a cheap shot by TG4 against license fee payers, that TG4 HD is not on our national owned tv platforms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That would require legislation to change. However, Comreg could require a minimum standard of SD of 720 by 576i. That would make a huge difference.

Get onto Comreg.

Advertisement