Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermostat temperature

Options
  • 29-11-2016 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Can anybody advise? My thermostat was set for over 90 so it kept switching on and then restarting every 2-3 minutes, the rads were really hot and the place would heat up fast. I got it fixed and now it switches on even when set on 55c, but the problem is that it goes for a couple of minutes and then it's off for maybe 25 and then it starts again for 5 and then off again, and the radiators don't actually get hot. Is it better to raise the temperature on the thermostat? It's an oil burner, firebird, I think.Thanks, L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Think it should be raised up to 75 at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lauralaura3

thanks, I think I'll change it. If I raise it to 75c, how often, more or less, should it switch on and then off (I was so used to the old setting of 90c that I thought that switching on and off every 4 minutes or so, was normal for these types of burners). Thanks, L

• Registered Users Posts: 12,743 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

thanks, I think I'll change it. If I raise it to 75c, how often, more or less, should it switch on and then off (I was so used to the old setting of 90c that I thought that switching on and off every 4 minutes or so, was normal for these types of burners). Thanks, L

It depends on the size of your system and the size of your boiler. But generally there's no need for it to be anywhere near 90 unless you want to make tea straight from the hot tap. 65 is more than enough

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Your rads may not be sized big enough to heat their rooms (in a reasonable time) at this these temperatures if you turn it down too much. Your cylinder stat should control your hot water temperature. This -of course- depends on proper plumping and controls.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I never got it serviced, so if I do, I suppose the man will adjust all that needs adjusting, right? Would that be boiler service technician or just plumber?

• Advertisement

I never got it serviced, so if I do, I suppose the man will adjust all that needs adjusting, right? Would that be boiler service technician or just plumber?

Adjusting it will depend on how observant the person is. Ask him.

Oil tech or plumber who does boilers regularly. Make sure he gives you a combustion PRINT OUT. Ask if he does that before booking.

Btw you don't need to wait for him to adjust the boiler temperature. Do it yourself and ask his advice when he comes.

How long ago since it was serviced?

Long ago, at least 5 yrs. By 'adjust the boiler temperature' you mean to adjust the thermostat, right? and thanks for the advice on the combustion print out.

Long ago, at least 5 yrs. By 'adjust the boiler temperature' you mean to adjust the thermostat, right? and thanks for the advice on the combustion print out.

Give the service guy heads up on how long since last service befor he comes.

Yes the boiler thermostat.

Advertisement