Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade

Options
  • 29-11-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all, My friend's son has a HP pavillion machine with an MSI 2AEO motrherboard and wants to upgrade the GPU to a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G.
    Would the motherboard be compatable with this card?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Motherboard would be okay but the card would likely be wasted. We'd need to know the rest of the machine spec, and the PSU wattage to know if it's a good idea and whether it's safe at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

technically yes, but that's an fm2 board which is very slow, outdated and unsuitable for a card like that. It would work, but The processor would cripple performance in most modern games and performance would be very poor.

he needs to consider a new motherboard and processor first, even the fastest fm2 processor available is extremely slow for modern gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Beara102

Thanks for the replies, I think the PSU is 300w, 8gb ram, 3.2ghz processor. What would be the most suitable card spec to upgrade the graphics in this machine. He was also planning to upgrade the memory to 16gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's not worth upgrading anything until he gets a new mobo and CPU. You'll be throwing money at a GPU that'll bottleneck with the current set up.

Well, firstly I would assume that if he's talking about 16GB ram and a GTX1060, he's looking to play the latest intensive titles - Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

The problem is, the core of the machine - the FM2 motherboard and processor - isn't up to play those games. It's not designed for that purpose.

They would run, technically, but whether you had a €100 or €800 graphics card, the framerate will be low, and the games will chug, hitch and pause frequently.

If he has the money for a GTX1060 6GB and 16GB Ram (around €320-350), he would be far better off selling that existing machine and building a new one with gaming in mind (an Intel i3-6100 + GTX1050 build would be around €500 and would run all the latest games smoothly).

It doesn't really matter what graphics card he adds to that HP, the latest games will run poorly due to the slow, low-end processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Beara102 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I think the PSU is 300w, 8gb ram, 3.2ghz processor. What would be the most suitable card spec to upgrade the graphics in this machine. He was also planning to upgrade the memory to 16gb.

The highest-end graphics card I could recommend in this scenario is a GTX 1050Ti.

Mostly because the PSU would not be suitable for anything higher-end.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The highest-end graphics card I could recommend in this scenario is a GTX 1050Ti.

Mostly because the PSU would not be suitable for anything higher-end.

That would be a massive waste to be fair. Have you ever used an fm2 processor? About 25fps in Battlefield 1 online with drops to 15.

About 30fps in Fallout 4.

It even bottlenecks a Gtx650 severely. Virtually any card would be crippled...and that's even assuming he has one of the fastest A10 FM2 CPU's available, let alone one of the lower end A6/A8 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Beara102

Hi all, I recommended to them upgrade the whole system but due to finances they decided to opt for K.O.Kiki's recomendation of the GTX 1050Ti which has improved the overall performance a lot from the onboard card and the son seems happy with it.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.
    Cheers.

Advertisement