Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a new kitten

Options
  • 29-11-2016 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys,

so recently my beloved cat passed away and both my mum and I is extremely sad she is gone. She has been with us for around 8 years, she was a stray but is super sweet and lovely. I'm glad the vet that looked after her took her paw prints and a little of her fur for me in memory of her.

My mum is a little traumatised from the experience of her passing away cos she always with her. So now im looking to adopt another kitty to keep my mum company. I've done a little research and found that british shorthair and ragdoll breed cats seem to match the criteria of what im looking for.

My question is, I have another cat at home whos 6 years old now and likes to go out in the mornings for a couple hours and come back home. Will introducing a new cat be hard for him? and what should I look out for when adopting a new kitten? and also does anyone know where I can adopt a british short hair or ragdoll kitten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

you would almost certainly need to go to a breeder to get a ragdoll. most breeders will only allow their kittens to go to homes where they are indoor only or have access to a secure cat run.

A british domestic short hair is the name given to just an ordinary moggie and can be adopted from any rescue in the country. Kittens will be plentiful in spring, older kittens and adult cats are available all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

you would almost certainly need to go to a breeder to get a ragdoll. most breeders will only allow their kittens to go to homes where they are indoor only or have access to a secure cat run.

A british domestic short hair is the name given to just an ordinary moggie and can be adopted from any rescue in the country. Kittens will be plentiful in spring, older kittens and adult cats are available all the time.

British Shorthair is different to Domestic Shorthair, the Domestic is the ordinary moggie, the British is a more difficult to find breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Oh, I did a few weeks in a vet's and they were calling everything British domestic short hair :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BlueSkyes

Thanks Cherry and Muddy for the reply.
    I'm currently looking for breeders now for both breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Hey Op, I know you're looking for those two breeds, but don't discount rescues just yet. I've fostered ragdoll and british shorthair crosses and currently have a persian cross, all were rescues. Some people spend big money buying a purebred, then let them go outdoors and don't bother spaying. I had a beautiful Ragdoll cross with seal points (brown ears, paws and tail) with blue eyes, he was abandoned in a garden with his tabby brother. so it might be worth having a look at rescues in your area.
    If you want to look for a breeder, the GCCFI and SABCCI would be the crowds to contact for breeders names. Stay away from donedeal, and do not buy from anyone who does not hold onto the kittens until they are 12/13 weeks and full vaccinated. Many responsible breeders will have neutering/spaying done before you get the kitten as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BlueSkyes

Aw thats kinda sad how people just abandon their pets.

To be honest, breed isn't much of a factor for me.
    I'm looking for a kitty that is good for company, is comfortable with cuddles and definitely stay indoors.
    From our past experience with our previous cat we kinda scared when our cat goes out and get paranoid when he comes home late but not letting him out at all seems to be bit too cruel. Thats why I was considering these 2 particular breeds because my mum is fond of them and they seem to be what we are looking for. Like what you say they are quite pricey but is available to collect with all the necessary things in check.

I will definitely check all sources though, thanks for your advice. May I ask what area you are in and where you fostered your kitties from?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Hey Op, I'll pm you the rescues I've fostered for as we can't mention names on the boards. If you do decide to go the rescue route even if you don't find a cross, you can ask about kittens in foster care and they should be able to give you a good idea of their temperament. My oldest boy unfortunately died this year, but he had the personality of a ragdoll; all he wanted to do was lie around on your lap all day and he was gentle with everyone, even foster cats coming into his territory. And he was just a run of the mill black and white moggy

Advertisement