Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish exemptions?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm in sixth year and I just applied for an irish exemption in november. I wasn't born here so I'm eligible for it (carreers teacher told me)...But I posted my application with my birth cert(it's required) in the start of november and havent got a post/letter back??

Does this mean I didn't got it or accepted for exemption or should I wait more??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not being born here doesn't entitle you to the main Irish exemption, unless you also attended school past the age of 11 elsewhere.
    It does however entitle you to the NUI exemption.

These are the criteria for the general exemption from the study of Irish:
    • Children whose primary education up to 11 years of age was received in Northern Ireland or outside Ireland.
    • Children who were enrolled in a recognised primary or post-primary school and who are now re-enrolling again after having been abroad for at least 3 years. The child must also be at least 11 years of age on re-enrolment.
    • Children from abroad who have no understanding of English, when enrolled, would be required to study one language, either English or Irish.
    • Children of diplomatic or consular representatives in Ireland.
    • Children, in whose case the Minister is satisfied, that they are resident in this country as political refugees.
    • Children assessed as having either a specific or general learning disability who meet the Department’s specific criteria.
    • Children with serious sensory disability.

Is it the NUI exemption you applied for, or the general one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missrish001

I applied for the NUI exemption..so yeah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I applied for the NUI exemption..so yeah

Sounds like you were very early applying. I think the deadline is usually July or so. It should be straightforward enough if you were born outside the State so I wouldn't worry about not getting it. They will just have to put a marker on your CAO application.
    Did you have a CAO number at the time you applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 missrish001

Yes I alreadly got my Cao number and I just got email to approve that they are going to grant it in February (since that's the only time they can do it as they say)!.

Now should I tell my Irish teacher about my Nui exemption (fully aware I still have to attend classes) or will i wait till may comes..?

As you said, it won't affect you having to take classes. I suppose as a courtesy to her so that she is not worrying about having to get you to pass, you could tell her. Up to you I suppose. If she knows you were born elsewhere, she'll know you'll get the exemption.

• Advertisement
Advertisement